1911 Maxwell EA Questions

  • Charlie Tosch
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2009
      My interest in Maxwell is triggered by the fact that my mother's maiden name was Maxwell and my Grandmother Maxwell had a new 2 cylinder Maxwell in about 1909. Having said that, I have always thought that I should someday have a Maxwell myself.

      Now I have a chance to purchase a 1911 Maxwell Model EA Touring car which I would like to use for touring on HCCA tours. What should I expect from a Model EA? Is it a reliable car that would make a good tour car? Are there likely to be any problems with the car that might be caused by poor design? Is there anything in particular that I should be looking for when I inspect the car before purchase?

      I'd be interested in anything you could tell me about an EA, both good and bad.

      Charlie Tosch
      Brandon, Manitoba
    • JanA
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2009
        Charlie: I think you need to determine what type of HCCA tour you are thinking about. If you have never had a early car there are some things you need to remember. The first item is the stopping distance in an early car of this vintage. I believe this car has two wheel brakes and the second item is power. This is an excellent car if you keep these two items in mind. There are more powerful cars but this car should allow you to keep up with most of your traveling buddies.

        If you like the look of the car and don't mind cranking a car this should be fun to own.

        Happy motoring.
        Jan

        --- In maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Tosch" <ctosch@...> wrote:

        > My interest in Maxwell is triggered by the fact that my mother's maiden name was Maxwell and my Grandmother Maxwell had a new 2 cylinder Maxwell in about 1909. Having said that, I have always thought that I should someday have a Maxwell myself.
        >
        > Now I have a chance to purchase a 1911 Maxwell Model EA Touring car which I would like to use for touring on HCCA tours. What should I expect from a Model EA? Is it a reliable car that would make a good tour car? Are there likely to be any problems with the car that might be caused by poor design? Is there anything in particular that I should be looking for when I inspect the car before purchase?
        >
        > I'd be interested in anything you could tell me about an EA, both good and bad.
        >
        > Charlie Tosch
        > Brandon, Manitoba

      • JanA
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009
          Charlie:
          I think the maxwell will be an excellent tour car. It will not be as powerful as the White and obviously you are familar with the limited stopping power and know how to crank an engine. I believe the car will be a reliable touring car. Remember this is only my opinion.

          Merry Christmas

          --- In maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com, "JanA" <modelt1916@...> wrote:

          > Charlie: I think you need to determine what type of HCCA tour you are thinking about. If you have never had a early car there are some things you need to remember. The first item is the stopping distance in an early car of this vintage. I believe this car has two wheel brakes and the second item is power. This is an excellent car if you keep these two items in mind. There are more powerful cars but this car should allow you to keep up with most of your traveling buddies.
          >
          > If you like the look of the car and don't mind cranking a car this should be fun to own.
          >
          > Happy motoring.
          > Jan
          >
          > --- In maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Tosch" <ctosch@> wrote:
          > >
          > > My interest in Maxwell is triggered by the fact that my mother's maiden name was Maxwell and my Grandmother Maxwell had a new 2 cylinder Maxwell in about 1909. Having said that, I have always thought that I should someday have a Maxwell myself.
          > >
          > > Now I have a chance to purchase a 1911 Maxwell Model EA Touring car which I would like to use for touring on HCCA tours. What should I expect from a Model EA? Is it a reliable car that would make a good tour car? Are there likely to be any problems with the car that might be caused by poor design? Is there anything in particular that I should be looking for when I inspect the car before purchase?
          > >
          > > I'd be interested in anything you could tell me about an EA, both good and bad.
          > >
          > > Charlie Tosch
          > > Brandon, Manitoba

        • Paul
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009
            Charlie--I have owned a 1911 Maxwell EA for 15 years. If you would like to call me I would be happy to talk to you about the car and answer any questions you might have. I live in Idaho and the best time to call is between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm MST.....Paul Fisk

            --- In maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Tosch" <ctosch@...> wrote:

            > My interest in Maxwell is triggered by the fact that my mother's maiden name was Maxwell and my Grandmother Maxwell had a new 2 cylinder Maxwell in about 1909. Having said that, I have always thought that I should someday have a Maxwell myself.
            >
            > Now I have a chance to purchase a 1911 Maxwell Model EA Touring car which I would like to use for touring on HCCA tours. What should I expect from a Model EA? Is it a reliable car that would make a good tour car? Are there likely to be any problems with the car that might be caused by poor design? Is there anything in particular that I should be looking for when I inspect the car before purchase?
            >
            > I'd be interested in anything you could tell me about an EA, both good and bad.
            >
            > Charlie Tosch
            > Brandon, Manitoba

          • THOMAS REESE
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 3, 2009
              Hi Charlie,
              I have a 1911 GA, a 4 passenger version of the EA.  I have owned it for 20+ years.  It is an original car that I only repainted.  This Maxwell, like all, is a very reliable, largely trouble-free car.
              It has a road speed of perhaps 35 mph.  Do not expect, nor run more.  There is no poor design to correct.  Those who seek to improve these cars, in my experience, only make them worse.  You have to understand the oiling systems, and the carburetion and cooling.  I also own a 1908 LC and have owned/restored 5 others, fours and twos.

              Tom Reese
              On Dec 1, 2009, at 12:26 PM, Charlie Tosch wrote:

              My interest in Maxwell is triggered by the fact that my mother's maiden name was Maxwell and my Grandmother Maxwell had a new 2 cylinder Maxwell in about 1909. Having said that, I have always thought that I should someday have a Maxwell myself.

              Now I have a chance to purchase a 1911 Maxwell Model EA Touring car which I would like to use for touring on HCCA tours. What should I expect from a Model EA? Is it a reliable car that would make a good tour car? Are there likely to be any problems with the car that might be caused by poor design? Is there anything in particular that I should be looking for when I inspect the car before purchase?

              I'd be interested in anything you could tell me about an EA, both good and bad.

              Charlie Tosch
              Brandon, Manitoba

            • Charles Tosch
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 3, 2009
                Tom,

                Thanks for the information.  Most of the information I've been able to get so far agrees with what you have said.  I'm still thinking seriously about the car but haven't definately decided to purchase it yet.  If/when I do I'll let the group know.

                Regards,

                Charlie Tosch
                Brandon, Manitoba

                __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4658 (20091203) __________

                http://www.eset.com
              • Richard Anderson
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 3, 2009
                  Charlie....do you have any pictures of the car and do you know how correct or authentic it is. Be sure you aren't buying something put together with misc. parts and not correct for that year and model.....

                  Richard V. Anderson
                  P.O.Box 858
                  Coupeville, WA. 98239

                  Home: 360-678-3733
                  Cell: 206-240-9434

                  To: maxwellbriscoeowners@yahoogroups.com
                  From: ctosch@...
                  Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 15:38:43 -0600
                  Subject: Re: [maxwellbriscoeowners] 1911 Maxwell EA Questions

                  Tom,

                  Thanks for the information.  Most of the information I've been able to get so far agrees with what you have said.  I'm still thinking seriously about the car but haven't definately decided to purchase it yet.  If/when I do I'll let the group know.

                  Regards,

                  Charlie Tosch
                  Brandon, Manitoba

                  __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4658 (20091203) __________

                  http://www.eset. com

                  Windows 7: Unclutter your desktop. Learn more.
                • Charles Tosch
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 3, 2009
                    Hi Richard,

                    I've seen the car several times and am pretty sure that it is an original car and not one that is a mixture of parts.  I do know several Maxwell people who should be familiar with the car and I'll ask them about its originality.

                    Thanks,

                    Charlie Tosch
                    Brandon, Manitoba

                    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4659 (20091203) __________