books

  • Yennefer
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4, 2004
      Hi!
      I found a web site about Antoine de Saint-Just. There are titles of plays, novels and films about Revolution. If you red some of them - write something more because I'd like to know which of them are good.
      http://www.archimedeanpoint.com/saint-just.html
      Aleksandra
    • Vanesa Montacuto
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4, 2004
        Yennefer <yennefer85@...> wrote:
        Hi!
        I found a web site about Antoine de Saint-Just. There are titles of plays, novels and films about Revolution. If you red some of them - write something more because I'd like to know which of them are good.
        http://www.archimedeanpoint.com/saint-just.html
        Aleksandra

        Hi, Aleksandra:

        I know this site. Is the Erika Vause's site. Excellent indeed. I guess before, this site had another web adress. There, you may found some good infos about some French Revolution characters such as Danton, Camille and Lucile , Marat, etc. In the infos you also have books, plays and movies about them, of with them playing a major role.

        I like Erika Vause's site. But she isn't a "Saint-Just" fan. She said he had mental troubles...

        Vanesa.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        100mb gratis, Antivirus y Antispam
        ¡Tenelo ya!

      • Yennefer
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4, 2004
          Vanesa, I think they both (R&S-J) had mental troubles :P
        • Vanesa Montacuto
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4, 2004
            Yennefer <yennefer85@...> wrote:
            Vanesa, I think they both (R&S-J) had mental troubles :P

            Well, I read a lot of books about them and I think they most have, like almost all of us, little psychological troubles. But not "serious mental troubles". I visited Erika's site again, and I found it very changed. And for good! She learned a lot in those last months. And It's a logical thing. She is very young yet. She travelled in France took really beatiful and historical photos, and shared them with us in her excellent site. Did you see those photos? Don't miss them, please!

            Vanesa. :)

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            100mb gratis, Antivirus y Antispam
            ¡Tenelo ya!

          • Claudia Groiss
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 8, 2004
              Salut Vanesa!

              >I like Erika Vause's site. But she isn't a "Saint-Just" fan. She
              >said he had mental troubles...

              Well, I think not more troubles than any other young man would have
              had with his family background who happens to be thrown into the
              midst of political upheaval. But, frankly, I don't mind if someone
              dislikes Saint-Just, that's legitimate. What I hate is if people,
              eben "historian", start twisting historical facts in order to make
              Saint-Just (or Robespierre) look more like a "Vaillain". That's
              intolerable.

              Claudia
            • Claudia Groiss
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 8, 2004
                Salut Aleksandra!

                >There are titles of plays, novels and films about Revolution. If you
                >red some of them - write something more because I'd like to know
                >which of them are good.
                Well, if it comes to books, I have read quite a lot of them, but to
                be entirely honest: I can't recommend any single book without
                reservations.

                I have two main complaints: firstly, they make too many concessions
                to modern sensibilities. People frequently address each other with
                their first name (they didn't in those times), and there is an
                uncomfortable stress on personal aspects, while the greater political
                development is ignored or shoved to the sideline. I happen to think
                that the French Revolution was one of the major events in history the
                repercussions of which are still felt in modern political debate. And
                Robespierre and his friends were eminently political animals.
                I often have the impression that many authors simply don't like to
                deal with the intricate political questions and prefer instead to
                giver us domestic scenes that could as well take place in any other
                novel.
                And secondly I dislike the writing style of most of them, Hilary
                Mantel, author of "A Greater Place of Safety", to name but one. Her
                sentences are short, dialogue does abound, but there is absolutely no
                difference whether she describes a love scene or an execution. It's
                kind of monotonous and doesn't thrill me at all.
                Unfortunately the book I like best has never been translated from the
                German, as far as I know (it's "Bürger from Arras" by Otto Zierer).

                But tastes do differ, so I recommend to you: read everything you can
                find. Try to buy the books second-hand, because their regular prices
                are forbidding. I think even the worst book is interesting, because
                it gives you an idea about how people thought about the French
                revolutionaries. Just don't mistake fiction for history.

                yours
                Claudia