Robespierre and Science

  • Christopher
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 2006
      I would very much like to know what Robespierre thought of Science.
      Did he actively support research and development?
      Was he close to any significant scientific personalities?
      Was he anti-science?

      Anyone with info or opinions, please reply.
      thanks.
    • luonnotar1065
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6, 2006
        According to the biography by JM Thompson, he had some books on
        mathematical subjects in his collection. He doesn't say what they were
        though. As a young man, one of his most famous cases was
        the "lightning rod" case, when he defended putting up a lightning
        conductor against someone who thought it was a danger! In this, he
        spoke out strongly in favour of "progress". The Committee of Public
        Safety also did a lot to promote scientific endeavours during their
        year of power, because they needed to modernise the country.

        Just out of interest, the word "Science" was not used in its modern
        sense until 1840. In those days it was called "natural philosophy",
        and being "for" or "against" it wasn't really an issue - it was just
        another way of finding things out.

        Hope this helps.

        Rose

        --- In maximilienrobespierre@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher"