Re: Hi Everyone!

  • Claudia Groiss
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2003
      Hello Lena!

      As you see, this list hasn't been very active in years, but I know a
      lot of people who would join us in a moment, when I tell them that
      this group does exist.

      So please be patient. In the meantime I would like to know how you
      came to be interested in Robespierre.

      More from me later on.

      yours
      Claudia
    • Claudia Groiss
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 5, 2003
        --- In maximilienrobespierre@yahoogroups.com, Olena Shon
        <shon_olena@y...> wrote:
        > Dear friends!
        > I am a new member of your group and I am happy to find
        > people with whom I may share my interest in Maximilien
        > Robespierre.
        > My name is Lena, I live in Ukraine. I have been
        > studying life of Maximilien Robespierre for almost 15
        > years already. I call him simply Maximilien. We are
        > like friends.
        > I DO NOT consider him a tyrant!

        If we understand a tyrant to be a man who rules singlehandedly or one
        in whom the ultimate governmental power is vested, no. But there is
        no doubt that the collective power of the Committee of Public Welfare
        amounted to dictatorship, if not in name, than in fact. I have not
        too many problems with this, however, since France was in the midst
        of a revolution, attacked by foreign armies and torn apart by civil
        war. And while the ebb and flow of intellectual wrestling that
        characterises a democracy is useful in times of peace, it may be
        ruinous in times of war.

        That's essentially what Robespierre said in his famous speech about
        political moral, he just had the courage to call the thing with its
        proper name, which is terror, the rule of force, as opposed to
        virtue, the rule of law. No wonder our modern-day politicians cringe
        whenever they hear the name Robespierre. He reminds them too
        forcefully that the only justification for terror is that you also
        need virtue to balance it.

        yours
        Claudia
      • Olena Shon
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2003
          Hi, Claudia!
          Thank you for your letter!
          I'll be patient and wait till the list becomes active.
          but I am really happy to find people who are also
          interested in Maximilien Robespierre.
          How I began to be interested in him? I don't know
          really. It was a sudden impulse or what... Really, I
          don't know. It started unexpectedly, but it was
          enforced by the movie "Saint-Just et la force des
          choses" I remember it perfectly well though I saw it
          15 years ago. I was really moved, shocked and... And I
          promised to myself to study life and activity of
          Robespierre. Though I am not a historian.
          Maybe, we could communicate with you in future? can
          you tell me how you began to be interested in him?
          Sincerely,
          Lena

          http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree