Re: [matteson-genealogy] Re: Some questions to ponder that need answers

  • jplaing
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 22 6:58 AM
      To all:

      Going along this topic with Benjamin, I recently visited the site and have updated their photos in findagrave at the Stone-Matteson lot. The dates for Benjamin were Mar 15, 1838 and that he died at the age of 93 yrs 3 months and 3 days. This matches the birth date for 12/12/1744. I also added the stone for Mary who was right next to him.

      In a message dated 07/22/12 07:23:29 Eastern Daylight Time, noname33399@... writes:

      Thank you for clearing up the Benjamin question for me. It has been bothering me for quite some time. Dyer still would have had to have a different mother, maybe some day we will find out who she really was!

      Also, I appreciate the information on John's will. I will make sure my sister puts that on her list for her next trip to RI. (We work as a team).

      I hope someone comes up with a nugget that gives you a lead on Samuel!

      --- In matteson-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "genealogyhooked" <packsdoll@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > >
      > > Census records bear out, however, that only one Benjamin was in Coventry from 1777 Military census thru 1838. This would also be the Benjamin who witnessed a land transfer in 1782 from John and Ruth (Potter) Rice to Gideon and Daniel Potter in Richmond, RI Land Eveidence (Beamans). The other Witness was Jonathan Olin, (husband of Ann Johnson). The connection is that Ann Johnson was a niece of Mary Pearce (Johnson) Matteson.
      > >
      > > There was also a Benjamin who had a son Dyer, born in Coventry in 1762, the mother named Hattie. The records come from Dyer Matteson's information, Dyer living in Nelson Madison, NY by 1806. Unless Benjamin who married Mary Pearce Johnson in 1773 was previously married to a Hattie, then there were 2 Benjamins in Coventry.
      > >
      > > My personal leaning, again with not much proof as of yet, is the Benjamin born 12-12-1744, who married Mary Pearce Johnson, is really from the FRANCIS line, not the one from the Joseph line. From all of the wills I have read, Francis is the one who had land in Coventry and passed it down via will to his son John. John, who m Mary Arnold, mentions a son Benjamin in his will. I do not have the entire contents, only the abstract, and if anyone does have a detailed transcription, I would love to have a copy of it.
      > >
      > > Anyone is welcome to shoot down my "2 Benjamins" in early Conventry theory, and I would welcome any proofs to the contrary. However, the Benjamin with the pension that was born 12-12-1744, must be the one, Marge, that you are looking for concerning a land purchase in 1772.
      > >

      > > --- In matteson-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "genealogyhooked" <packsdoll@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi all!
      > > >
      > > > Hope that the summer heat has left all of our group unscathed so far. If it has not my condolences to you!
      > > >
      > > > I am posting because of some questions that have come up from a recent trip to town hall in Coventry, RI. I won't address the "bastard" children born to at least 2 of the Matteson women yet but will in the future.
      > > >
      > > > I am looking for info on a Benjamin Matteson who was old enough in 1772 to buy land. Unclear if it is the same Benjamin who bought at auction from the only heir of Jeremiah Letson, lawyer, deceased in 1796.
      > > >
      > > > But my most important request is to ask if any of our group come down from an unattached Samuel.
      > > >
      > > > It looks like this line started with Francis 1680. In 1780 Thomas Sr gave land to son David.
      > > >
      > > > I have searched and searched and there is no downline for this David. I "think" this is because this David is always confused with a cousin. This David appears to be born in 1749 and most people think he is the same David born in 1750.
      > > >
      > > > David 1749 had a son Samuel by the documents I got a few days ago.
      > > >
      > > > So......does anyone have a Samuel that they can't attach?

    • Charlene
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 6, 2013
        Sorry it's been so long but I am still looking for my gr. gr. grandfather's family. You asked for information well here goes from myself back to what I know of Wm. T. My father was Eugene Matteson, his father was William Clayborn Matteson married to Bessie Clark. His father was Alton Matteson married to Ida B. Keith. Alton had a twin sister named Alice who married a Sherman. Their father was William Tecumseh Matteson who married Sarah Jane Arnold. They came up from Muhlenburg County Ky. On a census he states he was born in Ohio 1825. That's all we have. We have nothing like brothers or sisters or parents. As far as the golfer, could be related but not sure. Hope you can help. Thanks, Charlene