Re: L.W. Matteson

  • genealogyhooked
    Message 1 of 8 , May 27, 2011
      Nellie:

      I have a question for you. In my files I have Jeremiah son of Jeremiah and Ruth (Sweet) who married Barbara Weaver having 2 children here in RI.

      I have Jeremiah born 1803 and Polly 1806. I do not have the others. But both of these 2 were born in Rhode Island.

      Jeremiah 1803 married Sally (not sure of last name). Jeremiah died Dec 22, 1867 and is buried with his wife Sally in the Jeremiah Matteson lot CY075 here in RI.

      Do you have any idea if the births were just copied in VT like so many were? Just trying to figure this out.

      Thanks!
      Margie

      --- In matteson-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "nelliefr" <noname33399@...> wrote:

      > This is just an educated guess, but the W probably stands for Weaver:
      >
      > Langford Weaver (05/30/1739 RI-08/20/1819 Berlin, Rensselaer, NY) and Margaret Greene (abt 1749) had a daughter named Barbara Weaver (04/01/1771 East Greenwich, Kent RI-01/23/1857 Castile, Wyoming, NY) .
      >
      > (Langford Weaver's parents were "probably" Daniel Weaver and Sarah Langford of RI)
      >
      > see Lucius E. Weaver, "History and Genealogy of a Branch of the Weaver Family," 1928, Rochester, NY
      >

      > Barbara Weaver married Jeremiah Matteson (12/14/1779 WG), son of Jeremiah Matteson and Ruth Sweet, (Hezekiah and Mary Sweet, Henry and Judith Andrews Weaver, Henry and Hannah).
      >
      > Children of Jeremiah and Barbara all b VT are:
      >
      > Charlotte abt 1802 m Unk Harvey
      > Mary Polly b 08/18/1806 VT d 03/15/1891 m Alvah Tallman lived Perry, Wyoming, NY
      > Truman b abt 1808 VT
      > Jeremiah b abt 1818 VT.
      >
      > Seems like Langford W Matteson b abt 1819 VT. would "fit in" very nicely here. You would probably need to obtain the death record from McHenry County IL, and/or the marriage certificate to Anna Lake. She was so much younger than him that he may have been married before as well. I will try to trace Mary Lake's parents to see if I can find anything.
      >

      > --- In matteson-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "larkin_rachel" <larkin_rachel@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Looking for any information on a Lanford (sometimes Langford or L.W.) Matteson who resided in Sharon Wisconsin in 1873. His wife and son (Anna E Lake and son Win. L. Matteson) are buried in Harvard, IL.
      > > I have found them living in Harvard in 1880 census, and Chemung in 1900.
      > > Census says born in VT 1819. Not sure which line he is from. Any ideas?

    • nelliefr
      Message 2 of 8 , May 28, 2011
        Hi Marge, this journey is very interesting.

        Jeremiah b 1803 who m Sarah (Sally) Johnson. I think you are correct on that one.

        However all the other children (and I have found more) consistently say in census records that they were born in VT.

        In the book: "History of Wyoming County, N.Y. : with illustrations, biographical sketches, and portraits of some pioneers and prominent residents.. New York: F.W. Beers, 1880" (available on Google books and also on Ancestry.com)

        It says Jeremiah settled in a place called Oak Hill in the Ogden Tract, Town of Castile, (Which was formerly a part of Perry).

        Under a Bio of Elias Tallmen, it says he married CYNTHIA Matteson in 1839, daughter of Jeremiah and Barbara who came to Castile from Vermont in 1822.

        Elias just so happens to be the half brother (different mothers, perhaps sisters) of Alva Tallman, who we know married their other daughter Polly (Mary).

        Elias and Cynthia have in the 1850 census of Castile, (under SALLMAN) children Albert, Walter, Laverna, and Ellen.

        1860 They have the same children as well as Charlotte (Matteson) Harvey.

        1870 they have Elizabeth (Mabie) Tallman and Cynthia Harvey as well as Walter, Harriet (perhaps Walter's wife) and Ellen.

        1880 they have youngest daughter Ellen and his mother Betsey.
        Another Matteson found in Wyoming County is Daniel W (Weaver?) Matteson and wife Hannah. Census says he was born abt 1806 VT.

        Daniel is mentioned as having contributed to the building of an historic log cabin in Castile and his name is on the plaque, according to the same source, (History of Wyoming).

        In 1850 Perry, Wyoming new York they live with a Samuel Waldo, age 55 and wife Esther and family. Perhaps relatives of Hannah.

        He is also in Perry for 1860 and 1870, apparently no children or if any, they were grown by 1850.

        (Just seems to jive with being yet another unknown son of Jeremiah and Barbara)

        I can't find any Shaftsbury vital record for this family, do you have any sources there?)
        On to Alva Tallman and Polly Matteson.

        They lived in Castile, 1830, Racine, WI in 1850 where 2 cildren were born, then back to Castile.

        In the 1880 census they have Charlotte Harvey, widow with them, listed as the sister-in-law of the head of household.

        This must be the source for claiming Charlotte must be another Matteson, as well as living with Truman.

        On to Truman. The 1850 census for Castile has Truman MATTISON, wife Mary Ann (Fullman, name from son David's death record in Iowa.)

        Children Darius, William, David, Harriet, Benjamin, Aurora,

        Barbary Mattison 80, b RI, Charlotte Harvey, Polly (SALLMAN) and Polly's children Benjamin, Maria and Romain.
        I have more: I have come to the conclusion that Rose Weaver who married Enos Matteson is also Barbara's daughter from before she married Jeremiah. The birth records for Coventry according to NEHGS list thus: (Arnold's Vitals)

        Wever Wever Barbara, of Langford and Margaret, Apr. 1, 1771.

        Town Page Detail: Coventry 1771 Coventry, Kent, Rhode Island, United States Birth

        Wever Wever Rhoda, of Barbara (above*), Nov. 20, 1792.

        Town Page Detail: Coventry 1792 Coventry, Kent, Rhode Island, United States Birth
        Wever Wever Olive, (above), Mar. 21, 1797.

        Town Page Detail: Coventry 1797 Coventry, Kent, Rhode Island, United States Birth

        Familysearch has the name for Rhoda as ROSE, she may also have gone by Rosa?, but the year as 1794, same month and day.

        I am now of the opinion that Albin, Langford Weaver, Patience, Enos maybe a Warren(and perhaps the Jeremiah I have as born 1813 VT to Jeremiah and Barbara), as well are all instead children of Rose and Enos.

        Here is a Bio on Albin from HISTORY OF WALWORTH COUNTY, WISCONSIN, 1882:

        Matteson, Albin, p. 769
        PO SHARON. born Shaftsbury 1813 lived there until 21, moved to Geneva, Ontario NY where he was employed in clerking. He was married in Vermont to Philena Stockwell b in VT she died in Geneva. Mr M came to Walworth in the fall of 1842 where he stayed with WARREN Matteson.

        Married 12/25/1845 to Sarah widow of WARREN. Sarah b ENGLAND came to America when age 3. Ch. Elmer 11/20/1846, Edgar A 03/26/1850 and Albin W 05/20/1856, lost one son twin of Albin when he was 12 1/2 yrs old (Alfred). Settled here in the fall of 1846.
        =================

        Albin's death record states his parents were Enos and Rose Weaver Matteson. Also states his wife's name was Sarah Jacklen.

        Warren's land purchase in Wisconsin:
        Name: Warren Matteson
        Issue Date: 1 Aug 1844
        State of Record: Wisconsin
        Acres: 40
        Accession Number: WI2670__.462
        Metes and Bounds: No
        Land Office: Milwaukee
        Canceled: No
        US Reservations: No
        Mineral Reservations: No
        Authority: April 24, 1820: Sale-Cash Entry (3 Stat. 566)
        Document Number: 10532
        Legal Land Description:
        Section Twp Range Meridian Counties
        13 1-N 15-E 4th PM - 1831 MN/WI Walworth

        The 1850 census for Sharon, Walworth Wisconsin has Albin MATHSON and LW MATTERSON on the same page:

        Albin 35 b VT, Sarah 33 b England, Almer (Elmer) 3 b WI, Edgar 3/12 b WI.

        4 more families, then

        LW 31 born VT, ROSA 60 b RI, and Patience 25 b VT.

        Rose Weaver Matteson and a likely sister Patience!!!

        Patience married a Roswell Eaton (physician), and in 1860,1870 and 1880 they have ENOS with them:

        1860
        Name: Roswell Eaton
        Age in 1860: 36
        Birth Year: abt 1824
        Birthplace: New York
        Home in 1860: Sharon, Walworth, Wisconsin
        Gender: Male
        Post Office: Allens Grove
        Value of real estate: View image
        Household Members:
        Name Age
        Roswell Eaton 36
        Patience Eaton 37
        Enos Matteson 29

        1870 and 1880 Roswell Eaton, Patience, and Enos Matteson have moved to Rochester, Olmstead, MN. In 1880 it says Enos is Roswell's brother-in-law. He was born about 1831.

        To continue with Langford Weaver Matteson for the original poster's records, in case he did not find them all:

        1855:
        Name: L. W. Matteson
        State: WI
        County: Walworth County
        Township: Sharon
        Year: 1855
        Page: 003
        Database: WI 1855 State Census Index

        1860 cannot find him, tried all spellings!

        1863 Civil War registration

        Name: L W Matteson
        Residence: Walworth, Wisconsin
        Class: 1
        Congressional District: 1st
        Age on 1 July 1863: 43
        Race: White
        Marital Status: Unmarried (Single)
        Place of Birth: New York

        1870 image 19 (rest of Matteson family is on images 36 and 37, so Langford must now be living on father-in-law, Levi Lake's former property, (The Lakes have moved to Harvard, McHenry IL)

        Name: Langford Mallison
        Birth Year: abt 1819
        Age in 1870: 51
        Birthplace: Vermont
        Home in 1870: Sharon, Walworth, Wisconsin
        Race: White
        Gender: Male
        Value of real estate: View image
        Household Members:
        Name Age
        Langford Mallison 51
        Anna Mallison 28

        Name: Langford W. Matleson
        Home in 1880: Harvard, McHenry, Illinois
        Age: 60
        Estimated Birth Year: abt 1820
        Birthplace: Vermont
        Relation to Head of Household: SonL
        Father's birthplace: Vermont
        Mother's birthplace: Vermont
        Neighbors: View others on page
        Marital Status: Married
        Race: White
        Gender: Male

        Household Members:
        Name Age
        Levi Lake 65 b abt 1815 NY no oc listed
        Lydia M. Lake 60 b abt 1820 NY
        Langford W. Matleson 60 b abt 1819 VT no occ listed
        Anna Matleson 38 b abt 1842 NY
        Winnie Matleson 1 male grandson
        (Name is WINNE, his grandmother Lydia's maiden name)
        =====================================

        Final note: Olive and Rose Weaver, daughters of Barbara before she married Jeremiah. I have come across some people who have info (no sources listed) that Olive's name was Olive Weaver Stafford, and the father's name was supposedly Ralph Stafford. Also that Olive was raised by Barbara's parents. No one seems to know who Ralph Stafford was, and the birth records are listed with only Barbara as the parent, so this may be a case of some illegitimate daughters.

        Phew! OK, so this is quite a lot to follow and digest. It took me 8 hours to compile it all.

        Message 3 of 8 , May 28, 2011
          Nellie and others:

          I need to step away from the forum for a few days.

          Nellie you are a fantastic asset to this forum and you give so much of your time that even I am amazed!! I didn't mean for you to spend 8 hours last night pulling all that together. PLEASE do NOT go to such lengths for me again...I can usually wait because I am so involved in other stuff as well.

          I am taking this holiday weekend off from genealogy. As a disabled vet this weekend for me is a time for reflection and honor to all of my family and to Ken's who have valiantly served and died doing so. I hope that some day I will be so honored.

          I am also having some tests done next week and have no idea how they will turn out so I may not be able to focus on genealogy as I would like to. After that we will see....

          So, while I will be monitoring the forum I may not be as active as you all would like me to be. I can't do anything about this.

          I will try to respond to Nellie's post (this one) as soon as I can. I cannot thank her enough for her diligence. One thing I already know is that I may challenge Enos and Rose (Weaver) data.

          Hugs to you all, have a safe and FUN holiday weekend!

          Message 4 of 8 , May 30, 2011
            Margie,

            Thank you for your service to our country. I hope your medical tests bring you good news and not negative news. Prayers for you while you take a break from here.

            Thanks also for having this wonderful place to discuss the Matteson family.

          • larkin_rachel
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 9, 2011
              Thank you so much for all of your work! This is amazing. I have since found and taken pictures of the gravesites of many of these Walworth County Mattesons. Interestingly enough, they are buried next to several Waldos. My parents moved to Harvard in 1974, and raised the nine of us here. Imagine our surprise to see we weren't the first Matteson's in the area. I will post the photos as soon as I can. Also, the library in Sharon Wi has the original village tax books and plot maps.
            • nelliefr
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 11, 2011
                Looking forward to seeing the photos, Rachel!