Re: [Mattel Aquarius] Requesting Scans

  • billisc
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 22, 2008
      I Will try to convert the programs to Caq's I have not done this yet
      so hope it will work, it might take me a while.

      > > -The Crimac Aquarius catalog and the Bentley Industries one
      I have never seen maybe some one could scan then. I have the small
      catalouge that came with mine,I will root it out and scan it.

      > > Did anyone else have trouble with the Quicktype for these
      programs?

      When I do the other tapes I will check them on the emulator(s) before
      submitting them. I have to tweek the tape head alignment on my data
      recorder for each different game so it take a while.

      > I love to see the Basic text, it stimulates long sleeping synapses
      in
      > my brain.

      I recently started to play with visual basic. making a dnd charater
      generator for my son and I started my writing it as you would on the
      Aquarius.
    • mvdsteenoven
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 22, 2008
        > Everyone seems to have stashes of Aquarius documents or flyers that
        > have not been made public.
        >
        > While I can't really offer much in the way of new scans until that
        > changes, I was hoping a few of you out there would be willing to scan
        > some of your materials and post them here.

        I have the Aquarius User (The official journal of the Aquarius user
        club) Issue 1/Volume 1 and Issue 2/Volume 1
        And a lot of documentation by the HCC Aquarius user group from the
        Netherlands. Mostly Dutch but it also contains some original
        Mattel/Radofin documentation.
        Also some schematics from the HCC. Like getting 80 characters in one
        row on screen, a floppy disc controller, but those are all Dutch.

        I would also like to see commercial photos, adverts and so on.
        (.. Did anyone see the big commercial Aquarius poster at the wall in
        the YouTube movie where that guy mocked the Aquarius? )

        Maybe we first should make an inventory on who has got what
        what kind of resolution / format should be used for the scans
        and is there enough storage space in the Yahoo groups

        Regs
        Martin
      • swap_and_shop
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 22, 2008
          Martin brought up a very good question about the file space for the
          club, currently we are using only 16% of the file space in the "FILES"
          section, and we are using 0% of the space in the "PHOTOS" section. So
          there is plenty of room for more uploads.

          As I recall, Yahoo actually increased the space a few years ago.. We
          should be ok for awhile.

          Mike
        • mattelaquarius
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 23, 2008
            > On 01.22.08, at 316AM, mattelaquarius wrote:
            >
            > > -The Crimac Aquarius catalog (I used to drool over that and the

            > You and me both, maybe Aquarius symbolized "drool barer".
            > I ordered that disk drive, and bugged the UPS guy for months
            > "anything for me?"
            > before getting the "they are bankrupt, you can sue them for your
            > money" letter.
            >
            > I read that letter over and over, as if it would change
            > to "no really, we are kidding, your drive is on the way"
            >
            > At least extended basic showed up.

            That's actually a bit of consolation to me, then. I feel a little
            better about not ordering from Crimac, now. :-) It's too bad you
            were robbed for the disk drive.

            I got the standard package you see on Ebay with the "4 game
            cartridges included" for Christmas in 1984 (or was it 83?). As I
            understand now, these were the Radofin repackaging of the existing
            Mattel stock, which is why "Mattel Electronics" is still printed on
            all the boxes/manuals. BTW, my games were: Utopia, Snafu,
            AstroSmash, and Tron.

            I was only able to order 5 items after receiving my Aq. Upon writing
            and calling Mattel, they sent me a sheet listing about a dozen items
            they still had available. I tried to order FileForm, but they were
            out. Then, I ordered the data recorder cable. Trying to use a
            Panasonic recorder with the Aq was a royal pain; I was always
            fiddling with the tone/volume controls to get things to load.

            After some hard begging to the parents, I ordered the Printer and
            Data Recorder. The Printer had a defective paper advance button, so
            I returned it for warranty. (I remember purposely taking out the roll
            of paper before mailing, hoping Mattel would put a new roll in. The
            plan worked, because they just sent me a new printer). Over the
            phone, I asked if they had any modems, and they said they only had a
            few, which is why it wasn't listed on the order sheet. Well, I
            excitedly ordered one, and had a blast with it.

            The last item I was able to order, was AD&D from Bentley Industries.
            It took FOREVER to come in the mail. The first thing I noticed was
            the missing Mattel Electronics logo on the box. Funny, that's when I
            finally clued in to Mattel giving Aquarius to other companies.
            However, the game was awesome, and I still love it. I plan to do
            full scale reviews of the Aquarius games.

            > On 01.22.08, at 339AM, mattelaquarius wrote:
            > > Did anyone else have trouble with the Quicktype for these
            programs?

            > Yeah I thought it was a line feed issue between Windows
            > and Mac (I emulate the emulator),
            > but I guess its a quicktype thing.
            >
            > I haven't tried all the demo's, so if you turn them all into Caq's
            that
            > would avoid each of us fixing the same error individually.
            >
            > I love to see the Basic text, it stimulates long sleeping synapses
            in
            > my brain.
            >
            > Mr Bill

            I'll upload the ones I've done. I'll skip Bomber and Snake, because
            the .caq versions can already be found in Files. I'll note that the
            files may not be true to the originals, because I think there may be
            some deviation, though they work fine. The .txt files Bill provided
            do have some errors built-in.

            -Jason
          • mattelaquarius
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 23, 2008
              --- In mattelaquarius@yahoogroups.com, mvdsteenoven <no_reply@...>
              wrote:

              > > Everyone seems to have stashes of Aquarius documents or flyers
              that
              > > have not been made public.
              > >
              > > While I can't really offer much in the way of new scans until
              that
              > > changes, I was hoping a few of you out there would be willing to
              scan
              > > some of your materials and post them here.
              > >

              > I have the Aquarius User (The official journal of the Aquarius user
              > club) Issue 1/Volume 1 and Issue 2/Volume 1
              > And a lot of documentation by the HCC Aquarius user group from the
              > Netherlands. Mostly Dutch but it also contains some original
              > Mattel/Radofin documentation.
              > Also some schematics from the HCC. Like getting 80 characters in one
              > row on screen, a floppy disc controller, but those are all Dutch.

              Even if they're Dutch, I'd still like to see them if you have time to
              scan them. Actually, my neighbor, Jeroen, in California was Dutch
              (not a Dutch-American). I could have used him as a translator. ;-)
              I was so cut-off from anyone else who owned an Aquarius, that seeing
              an actual newsletter dedicated to a group of Aquarius Users, really
              intrigues me.

              > I would also like to see commercial photos, adverts and so on.
              > (.. Did anyone see the big commercial Aquarius poster at the wall in
              > the YouTube movie where that guy mocked the Aquarius? )

              Oh, I have one of those posters! I even had it laminated to protect
              it for the future. I promise to take pics when I see it again.

              > Maybe we first should make an inventory on who has got what
              > what kind of resolution / format should be used for the scans
              > and is there enough storage space in the Yahoo groups
              >
              > Regs
              > Martin

              The best I can do now, is scan the following manuals:

              FileForm
              BurgerTime
              AD&D
              Utopia
              Melody Chase
              Space Speller
              Logo (Ugh!)
              Aquarius User's Manual (also Ugh!)

              Bill said he'd scan the common catalog. In storage, I have a very
              unique Mattel Catalog that is the same size, but white, and has some
              interesting variations. I also promise to scan that when it is out
              of storage.

              If someone has some really large file high-resolution scans, he could
              post a time limit for download, and then remove it.

              -Jason