Re: [MATH for FUN] Clock puzzle

  • Shamsuddin Mukhtaram
    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 1, 2004
      Hi,

      I'm Shamsuddin from Kuala Lumpur. It's nice to know that Jason1990 has received his PhD in Mathematics. I wonder how long the dissertation was. Is it less than 50 pages or 300 pages, similar to Buseness Management dissertation (or thesis)?

      I just signed up yesterday and when asked why I wanted to join the group, my answer was that I'm doing my PhD in Business Management and I may need someone who can assist me with my data analysis. When I was young, I was given a scholarship to do Mathematics in the UK. But I was inspired by my senior and ended up doing Electronics. Are there any other members who are in the midst of doing PhDs. It's not much of a fun, is it?

      SM

      bqllpd <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      This is a question my fouth grade teacher posed to the class when
      trying to teach us about angles.

      "At what times are the hour hand and the minute hand at ninety
      degrees to each other?"

      I answered, and my teacher thought I was smarting off. So she
      disciplined me by telling me to sit outside the room until recess!!

      About five minutes later, she told me I could come back in,
      appologized, and explained that another student explained why my
      answer was correct.

      This actually happened.

      So my question is, how many times in a twenty-four hour period are
      the hands of a clock at ninety degrees from each other.

      Also, congratulations to jason1990 for recieving his Ph.D. in
      Mathematics. [Applause] Happy belated birthday also.

      bq

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • adh_math
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 8, 2004
        --- In mathforfun@yahoogroups.com, bqllpd <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        > I agree! No more drunken postings from me. I think it's time to
        > nominate candidates for Administrators.
        >
        > My order of selection's are
        > 1)Prof. jason1990 Ph.D.
        > 2)adh_math
        > 3)video_ranger

        Thanks bq, but puzzlehacker, clooneman, and al_jabr are doing an
        excellent job. :)

        To spread some tangentially relevant mathematical apocrypha: The story
        goes that when the famous complex analyst Stefan Bergmann arrived to
        take a permanent position at Stanford, he said to his female
        companion, "Darling, now that we are in America, you must call me
        `Stefan' in public. At home, however, you must still call me `Herr
        Doktor Professor'." (Dramatization -- May or may not have happened.)