Re: Problem of the Week

  • clooneman
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 3, 2003
      Interesting slant.... In that case, if 5 men can build 5 houses in a
      week, then 4 mwn will build (or complete) no houses in a week.

      --- In mathforfun@yahoogroups.com, "garple51" <larhamr@n...> wrote:
      > --- In mathforfun@yahoogroups.com, clooneman <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > 6 Boys fill 6 notebooks in 6 weeks
      > > 6 Boys fill 2 notebooks in 2 weeks
      > > 12 Boys fill 4 notebooks in 2 weeks
      > >
      > > 4 girls fill 4 notebooks in 4 weeks
      > > 4 girls fill 2 notebooks in 2 weeks
      > > 12 girls fill 6 notebooks in 2 weeks
      > >
      > > 4 + 6 = 10.
      >
      > I think this solution is the one that might be expected,
      > but it assumes the children share notebooks.
      >
      > If they don't share we have a boy fills his notebook in 6
      > weeks, and a girl fills her note book in 4 weeks,
      >
      > So in two weeks no matter how large the class no note
      > books are filled. (?)
      >

      > > --- In mathforfun@yahoogroups.com, "babi_bear_06"
      > <babi_bear_06@y...>
      > > wrote:
      > > > 6 Boys fill 6 notebooks in 6 weeks, and 4 girls fill 4
      notebooks
      > in
      > > 4
      > > > weeks, how many notebooks will a class of 12 boys and 12 girls
      > fill
      > > > in 2 weeks.
      > > > Thanks beforehand.
      > > > Please leave an expanation and like formula if any
    • clooneman
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 3, 2003
        Welllllllllllll, if we presume that each man is a builder, nothing
        more, and that each house gets "built" (recast your own definition),
        nothing more, then 5 men will build 5 houses in a week, cos the labo
        (u)r can be shared easily.

        --- In mathforfun@yahoogroups.com, "garple51" <larhamr@n...> wrote:
        > --- In mathforfun@yahoogroups.com, clooneman <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > > Interesting slant.... In that case, if 5 men can build 5 houses
        in
        > > week, then 4 mwn will build (or complete) no houses in a week.
        > >

        > The way builders work around these parts that is exactly
        > the result. The man who was not available would have been
        > the plumber or the electrician, or the roofer, or the
        > Bricky, or the plasterer, or the chippy, Oh thats six persons
        > ;o(
        >

        > > --- In mathforfun@yahoogroups.com, "garple51" <larhamr@n...>
        wrote:
        > > > --- In mathforfun@yahoogroups.com, clooneman <no_reply@y...>

        > > > I think this solution is the one that might be expected,
        > > > but it assumes the children share notebooks.
        > > >
        > > > If they don't share we have a boy fills his notebook in 6
        > > > weeks, and a girl fills her note book in 4 weeks,
        > > >
        > > > So in two weeks no matter how large the class no note
        > > > books are filled. (?)

        > > > <babi_bear_06@y...>
        > > notebooks
        > > > in
        > girls
        > > > fill
      • babi_bear_06
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 25, 2003
          A club has 50 members, and 7/10 of the members attend a meeting. 4/7
          of those attending the meeting were women, and the rest were men.
          Everyone attending the meeting brought their kids for child-care.
          1/4 of the women have no children, while 1/5 have 1 child. 1/2 of
          the women have 3 children, and the rest have 2. Of the men in
          attendance, 1/5 of them have no children, and 1/5 of them have 3
          children. 1/3 of them have 2 children, and 4/15 have 1 child. How
          many children were in child-care during the meeting?
        • babi_bear_06
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 25, 2003
            <babi_bear_06@y...> wrote:
            > A club has 50 members, and 7/10 of the members attend a meeting.
            4/7
            > of those attending the meeting were women, and the rest were men.
            > Everyone attending the meeting brought their kids for child-care.
            > 1/4 of the women have no children, while 1/5 have 1 child. 1/2 of
            > the women have 3 children, and the rest have 2. Of the men in
            > attendance, 1/5 of them have no children, and 1/5 of them have 3
            > children. 1/3 of them have 2 children, and 4/15 have 1 child. How
            > many children were in child-care during the meeting?
            .
            Please leave a detailed explanation
            thanx before hand
          • clooneman
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 26, 2003
              Women: 46
              Men: 23
              Total: 69
              Am I right?

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 26, 2003
                50 members
                35 people attended, 20 women and 15 men.

                Women: 5 have no children, 4 have 1, 10 have 2 and 1 has 2 (which
                means I made a mistake in my last post). Total numer of women's
                children: 26.

                Men: 3 have no children, 3 have 3, 5 have 2 and 4 have 1. Total
                number of men's children: 23.

                Total number: 26+23 = 49.

                wrote:
                > --- In mathforfun@yahoogroups.com, "babi_bear_06"
                > <babi_bear_06@y...> wrote:
                > > A club has 50 members, and 7/10 of the members attend a meeting.
                > 4/7
                > > of those attending the meeting were women, and the rest were men.
                > > Everyone attending the meeting brought their kids for child-care.
                > > 1/4 of the women have no children, while 1/5 have 1 child. 1/2 of
                > > the women have 3 children, and the rest have 2. Of the men in
                > > attendance, 1/5 of them have no children, and 1/5 of them have 3
                > > children. 1/3 of them have 2 children, and 4/15 have 1 child. How
                > > many children were in child-care during the meeting?
                > .
                > Please leave a detailed explanation
                > thanx before hand
              • cheerful aya
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 28, 2003
                  You made a little mistake :
                  50 members
                  35 people attended, 20 women and 15 men.
                  Women : 5 have no children, 4 have 1, 10 have 3 , and 1 has 2.
                  5 * 0 + 4 * 1 + 10 * 3 + 1 * 2 = 36
                  Men : 3 have no children , 3 have 3 , 5 have 2 , and 4 have 1.
                  3 * 0 + 3 * 3 + 5 * 2 + 4 * 1 = 23

                  36 + 23 = 59
                  cheerfulaya

                  clooneman <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:50 members

                  wrote:
                  > --- In mathforfun@yahoogroups.com, "babi_bear_06"
                  > <babi_bear_06@y...> wrote:
                  > > A club has 50 members, and 7/10 of the members attend a meeting.
                  > 4/7
                  > > of those attending the meeting were women, and the rest were men.
                  > > Everyone attending the meeting brought their kids for child-care.
                  > > 1/4 of the women have no children, while 1/5 have 1 child. 1/2 of
                  > > the women have 3 children, and the rest have 2. Of the men in
                  > > attendance, 1/5 of them have no children, and 1/5 of them have 3
                  > > children. 1/3 of them have 2 children, and 4/15 have 1 child. How
                  > > many children were in child-care during the meeting?
                  > .
                  > Please leave a detailed explanation
                  > thanx before hand

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • clooneman
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 28, 2003
                    Thank youuuuuu

                    --- In mathforfun@yahoogroups.com, cheerful aya <cheerfulaya@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > You made a little mistake :
                    > 50 members
                    > 35 people attended, 20 women and 15 men.
                    > Women : 5 have no children, 4 have 1, 10 have 3 , and 1 has 2.
                    > 5 * 0 + 4 * 1 + 10 * 3 + 1 * 2 = 36
                    > Men : 3 have no children , 3 have 3 , 5 have 2 , and 4 have 1.
                    > 3 * 0 + 3 * 3 + 5 * 2 + 4 * 1 = 23
                    >
                    > 36 + 23 = 59
                    > cheerfulaya
                    >

                    > clooneman <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:50 members
                    > 35 people attended, 20 women and 15 men.
                    >
                    > Women: 5 have no children, 4 have 1, 10 have 2 and 1 has 2 (which
                    > means I made a mistake in my last post). Total numer of women's
                    > children: 26.
                    >
                    > Men: 3 have no children, 3 have 3, 5 have 2 and 4 have 1. Total
                    > number of men's children: 23.
                    >
                    > Total number: 26+23 = 49.
                    >
                    > --- In mathforfun@yahoogroups.com, "babi_bear_06"
                    <babi_bear_06@y...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > --- In mathforfun@yahoogroups.com, "babi_bear_06"
                    > > <babi_bear_06@y...> wrote:
                    > > > A club has 50 members, and 7/10 of the members attend a
                    meeting.
                    > > 4/7
                    > > > of those attending the meeting were women, and the rest were
                    men.
                    > > > Everyone attending the meeting brought their kids for child-
                    care.
                    > > > 1/4 of the women have no children, while 1/5 have 1 child. 1/2
                    of
                    > > > the women have 3 children, and the rest have 2. Of the men in
                    > > > attendance, 1/5 of them have no children, and 1/5 of them have
                    3
                    > > > children. 1/3 of them have 2 children, and 4/15 have 1 child.
                    How
                    > > > many children were in child-care during the meeting?
                    > > .
                    > > Please leave a detailed explanation
                    > > thanx before hand
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor