Re: Problem 110, clarification

  • jason1990
    Message 1 of 4232 , Nov 4, 1999
      If I define the function on all but one point,
      that point is an isolated singularity. The function
      may, of course, have a holomorphic continuation to
      that point, in which case I would call the singularity
      "removable". Hence, solving problem 110 requires some
      definition of "pole" and "essential" singularity for
      functions from C to C^2. But the definitions I use involve
      Laurent series. Is there an equivalent definition whose
      analog to C -> C^2 functions is clear, or is there
      some analog to the Laurent series in this case?
    • sum_what_ever
      Message 4232 of 4232 , Apr 25, 2011
        can't sleep (yawn), i spent around 3 hr.s on your your original post here. it seems this implicit function solution set is the semi-stable modular eliptical curves A. Wiles gave in his proof of fermat's last theorem. Your function is way simpler. have to get some sleep before i got to go to work, but the proof of this is around 4 to 5 pages as you said. i'll have to look at it more this evening. also, what's the scoop of you being the source for the plot of tron legacy? we should all get royalties! heheh.