Re: Problem 107

  • whatarewords
    Message 1 of 4232 , Nov 3, 1999
      Youre absolutely right I screwed up. I realised
      this about an hour after my post. So of course the
      proof is invalid. Here is how i think it will go
      :<br><br>Using a bit more theory of Sylow p-subgroups, one shows
      that IF there are 7 Sylow 2-subgroups then there is
      only one Sylow 7-subgroup (there are either 1 or 8 of
      these). I dont think i can show that the case of one
      Sylow 2-subgroup is impossible. Similarly, i think that
      on the assumption that there are 8 Sylow 7-subgroups
      then there must be only one Sylow 2-subgroup. Geez I
      can blab on. What I mean to say is that some groups
      of order 56 have only one Sylow 2-subgroup and some
      have only one Sylow 7-subgroup but they ALL have
      either only one Sylow 2-subgroup or only one Sylow
      7-subgroup. I havent proven this, Im just saying I think it
      is how the proof should go.
    • sum_what_ever
      Message 4232 of 4232 , Apr 25, 2011
        can't sleep (yawn), i spent around 3 hr.s on your your original post here. it seems this implicit function solution set is the semi-stable modular eliptical curves A. Wiles gave in his proof of fermat's last theorem. Your function is way simpler. have to get some sleep before i got to go to work, but the proof of this is around 4 to 5 pages as you said. i'll have to look at it more this evening. also, what's the scoop of you being the source for the plot of tron legacy? we should all get royalties! heheh.