Re: Help I am Clueless!!

  • slim_the_dude
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 2003
      --- In mathforfun@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle <mplus_2000@y...>"
      <mplus_2000@y...> wrote:
      > I need help thinking something through (this should be
      embarrassingly
      > easy for you guys, forgive my ignorance). Here is the question: If
      > over the last year the amount of work to be done in a factory went
      up
      > by 120 units (from 1200 to 1320) but my staff went down by 2
      people
      > (from 5 to 3), what is the productivity increase/decrease of the
      > factory).
      >
      > Please help me think through this one!

      Since you asked for productivity increase of the factory, and not
      per person, it's simply 120 units. Percentagewise, it's 120/1200 =
      10%. If were to ask for productivity percentage increase per
      employee, it would be [(1320/3) / (1200/5)] - 1 =
      440/240 - 1 = 11/6 - 1 = 5/6 = 83.3333%
    • clooneman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 9, 2003
        Let x be the productivity.

        With three people working instead of 5, the productivity falls to
        3x/5.

        Presuming that the factoring can do any amount of work in a given
        time (for a fixed amount of worker) and you're measuring it simply by
        how much there is to do, then your 3x/5 increases to 3960x/6000 =
        66x/100 = 66%. Therefore the factory suffers a 34% drop in
        productivity. By my reckoning anyway.

        Of course, your 1200-to-1300 thing could be a red herring, in which
        case the drop is only 40%.