Re: [MATH for FUN] Re: [Daily Brain Teaser] Mathematics Problem - 14 January

  • MorphemeAddict
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 15, 2013
      On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 1:38 PM, ramsey2879 <ramsey2879@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Not sure if I did this correctly but I got an anwser of 72 degrees

      How did you get that answer?

      stevo

      > --- In mathforfun@yahoogroups.com, MorphemeAddict wrote:
      > >
      > > Assuming no loss of heat, hot water at 120°F (or H), and cold water is
      > 40°F
      >
      > > (or C), what is the temperature of the water when the bucket becomes
      > full?
      > >
      > > stevo
      > >
      > > On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 5:59 PM, ramsey2879 wrote:
      > >
      > > > **
      >

      > > > I used t/6 + t/4 - t/12 = 1; 4t = 12 hours or t = 3 hours

      > the
      > > > bucket in exact 6 hours and cold water tap fills the bucket in exact 4
      > > > hours.
      > tap
      > > > which remove the water out of bucket. This tap can empty the bucket in
      > 12
      > > > hours.

    • video_ranger
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 17, 2013
        It's the weighted (by volume) average of the two temperatures (3/5)*40 + (2/5)*120. This depends on the fact that the specific heat of water is virtually constant within the temperature range - in other words temperature is proportional to heat per volume.

        Mark

        --- In mathforfun@yahoogroups.com, MorphemeAddict wrote:

        > On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 1:38 PM, ramsey2879 wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Not sure if I did this correctly but I got an anwser of 72 degrees
        > >
        > How did you get that answer?
        >
        > stevo
        >
        > > --- In mathforfun@yahoogroups.com, MorphemeAddict wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Assuming no loss of heat, hot water at 120°F (or H), and cold water is
        > > 40°F
        > >
        > > > (or C), what is the temperature of the water when the bucket becomes
        > > full?
        > > >
        > > > stevo

        > > the
        > > tap