[MATH for FUN] Re: [Daily Brain Teaser] Mathematics Problem - 14 January

  • ramsey2879
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 15, 2013
      Not sure if I did this correctly but I got an anwser of 72 degrees
      --- In mathforfun@yahoogroups.com, MorphemeAddict wrote:

      > Assuming no loss of heat, hot water at 120°F (or H), and cold water is 40°F
      > (or C), what is the temperature of the water when the bucket becomes full?
      >
      > stevo
      >
      > On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 5:59 PM, ramsey2879 wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > I used t/6 + t/4 - t/12 = 1; 4t = 12 hours or t = 3 hours
      > >

      > > --- In mathforfun@yahoogroups.com, lavesh rawat wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Mathematics Problem - 14 January
      > > >
      > > > I want to fill my bucket using both cold and hot water.
      > > > I have two taps for both cold and hot water. The hot water tap fills the
      > > bucket in exact 6 hours and cold water tap fills the bucket in exact 4
      > > hours.
      > > > I turn both of them simultaneously but i forgot to turn off another tap
      > > which remove the water out of bucket. This tap can empty the bucket in 12
      > > hours.
      > > >
      > > > How Long will it take to fill the bucket ?
      > > >
      > > > Update Your Answers at : Click Here
      > > >
      > > > Solution
      > > > Will be updated after 1 day

    • MorphemeAddict
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 15, 2013
        On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 1:38 PM, ramsey2879 <ramsey2879@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Not sure if I did this correctly but I got an anwser of 72 degrees

        How did you get that answer?

        stevo

        > --- In mathforfun@yahoogroups.com, MorphemeAddict wrote:
        > >
        > > Assuming no loss of heat, hot water at 120°F (or H), and cold water is
        > 40°F
        >
        > > (or C), what is the temperature of the water when the bucket becomes
        > full?
        > >
        > > stevo
        > >
        > > On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 5:59 PM, ramsey2879 wrote:
        > >
        > > > **
        >

        > > > I used t/6 + t/4 - t/12 = 1; 4t = 12 hours or t = 3 hours

        > the
        > > > bucket in exact 6 hours and cold water tap fills the bucket in exact 4
        > > > hours.
        > tap
        > > > which remove the water out of bucket. This tap can empty the bucket in
        > 12
        > > > hours.

      • video_ranger
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 17, 2013
          It's the weighted (by volume) average of the two temperatures (3/5)*40 + (2/5)*120. This depends on the fact that the specific heat of water is virtually constant within the temperature range - in other words temperature is proportional to heat per volume.

          Mark

          --- In mathforfun@yahoogroups.com, MorphemeAddict wrote:

          > On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 1:38 PM, ramsey2879 wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Not sure if I did this correctly but I got an anwser of 72 degrees
          > >
          > How did you get that answer?
          >
          > stevo
          >
          > > --- In mathforfun@yahoogroups.com, MorphemeAddict wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Assuming no loss of heat, hot water at 120°F (or H), and cold water is
          > > 40°F
          > >
          > > > (or C), what is the temperature of the water when the bucket becomes
          > > full?
          > > >
          > > > stevo

          > > the
          > > tap