Happy Product Day!

  • Eric O
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2012
      Happy Product Day! Today, December 1, 2012, is a product date. In America the date is often abbreviated in the form:

      12/1/12

      We can translate the date into the correct fact:

      12 x 1 = 12

      This minor phenomenon begs a few questions:

      1) How many product dates did we celebrate this year?
      2) In which year would we celebrate the most product dates?
      3) In what year will Leap Day also be celebrated as Product Day?
      4) How many product days will we celebrate in any given century?
      5) What did you find was your most effective way to collect your data for question 4? (If you say, "I ran an EXCEL program, shame on you!")

      And before I sign off to enjoy some root canal work, I also wanted to send out the following wishes to all members of Math for Fun:

      Happy Quotient Day!

      Eric O
    • MorphemeAddict
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2012
        On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 6:46 AM, Eric O <eobrien19@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Happy Product Day! Today, December 1, 2012, is a product date. In America
        > the date is often abbreviated in the form:
        >
        > 12/1/12
        >
        > We can translate the date into the correct fact:
        >
        > 12 x 1 = 12
        >
        > This minor phenomenon begs a few questions:

        This is not what "begging the question" means:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question

        stevo

        > 1) How many product dates did we celebrate this year?
        > 2) In which year would we celebrate the most product dates?
        > 3) In what year will Leap Day also be celebrated as Product Day?
        > 4) How many product days will we celebrate in any given century?
        > 5) What did you find was your most effective way to collect your data for
        > question 4? (If you say, "I ran an EXCEL program, shame on you!")
        >
        > And before I sign off to enjoy some root canal work, I also wanted to send
        > out the following wishes to all members of Math for Fun:
        >
        > Happy Quotient Day!
        >
        > Eric O

      • Eric OBrien
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2012
          Thank you. Does this mean that you will not try to answer the questions?

          ________________________________
          > Happy Product Day! Today, December 1, 2012, is a product date. In America
          > the date is often abbreviated in the form:
          >
          > 12/1/12
          >
          > We can translate the date into the correct fact:
          >
          > 12 x 1 = 12
          >
          > This minor phenomenon begs a few questions:

          This is not what "begging the question" means:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question

          stevo

          > 1) How many product dates did we celebrate this year?
          > 2) In which year would we celebrate the most product dates?
          > 3) In what year will Leap Day also be celebrated as Product Day?
          > 4) How many product days will we celebrate in any given century?
          > 5) What did you find was your most effective way to collect your data for
          > question 4? (If you say, "I ran an EXCEL program, shame on you!")
          >
          > And before I sign off to enjoy some root canal work, I also wanted to send
          > out the following wishes to all members of Math for Fun:
          >
          > Happy Quotient Day!
          >
          > Eric O

        • MorphemeAddict
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2012
            On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Eric OBrien <eobrien19@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Thank you. Does this mean that you will not try to answer the questions?

            It didn't, but it does now.

            stevo