Using the Trivium and the Mason Methods

  • meloniebugs
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 28, 2001
      How do these two combine? The latter gives you
      the basis for an excellent education, where the
      former gives you the flexibility and peace of mind that
      your children can learn the way *they* learn. The
      Trivium suggests MANY wonderful resources and ideas and
      plans for your child's education. CM provides the means
      of incorporating narration, nature study, and short
      lessons into that education and therefore letting the
      children and the parent be flexible.
    • meloniebugs
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 5 4:44 AM
        Do you like the Classical methods from the
        Trivium? Do you like the narration from the CM method? How
        do you incorporate unschooling into the works?
        Letting the children explore their own interests. Do you
        follow a schedule, either daily, weekly, monthly, or
        yearly? Do you have everything planned through high
        school?<br><br>Tell me what you do for your homeschool. We currently
        do science and history twice a week, LLATL three
        times a week, Writing Strands three times a week, Math
        five days a week, Spelling Workout four days per week,
        Art and Music one day a week each, and reading
        daily.<br><br>My son said that he would like to see his morning
        routine be as such: wake up at 7:30, feed the pets and do
        his chores, fish from 8-9, and then start school at
        9. He said that waking up and starting school first
        thing makes his brain hurt, so he needs time to wake up
        while he's fishing! :-) Uh...ok! My daughter, however,
        could wake up and start writing. :-)<br><br>Tell us
        about your days.<br><br>Happy Homeschooling!! :-)
      • meloniebugs
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 5 10:58 AM
          Welcome to the Mason/Trivium Group Message Board!
          We're so glad that you have joined us. Your comments,
          suggestions, and questions are always welcomed and encouraged.
          Please feel free to share with the group your thoughts
          and ideas concerning homeschooling. We will do our
          best to help you and encourage you and support you the
          best that we can. You do NOT have to be actively doing
          the Charlotte Mason method nor the WTM philosophy to
          join this group. It is for everyone a place to share
          and care. <br><br>So, go get yourself a cup of tea,
          and pull up a chair and join right in. There will be
          scheduled chats throughout the months to come as well. I
          hope that you find this to be a helpful message board.
        • HolyQuest
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 10 1:31 PM
            I call myself a lifestyle homeschooler. Now, I am
            not sure if I coined this phrase or if it has been
            used before, but what I mean by it is primarily,
            homeschooling is not just an alternative way I have chosen to
            educate my children, it is a lifestyle we have adopted. I
            can not see how homeschooling can be treated as an
            isolated phenomenon that occurs only in those hours when
            children are in seats and books are open in front of them.
            To me, life is is the teacher. My children and I
            learn together. It does not matter if we are reading
            and discussing the classics, or doing the laundry
            together or watching bugs in the garden. They are all
            learning experiences.<br><br>You may have guessed. I am
            not a classical homeschooler, but don't jump the gun
            and guess I am an unschooler, because that term might
            not fit as well. Like I said, I just go with
            "lifestyle homeschooling." That works for me.<br><br>I am
            interested in certain parts of the Charlotte Mason method
            and I am interested in the Well Trained Mind, which I
            have not yet read. I am on the waiting list for it at
            the local library. I am interested to learn more
            about both styles, which is why I am here. <br><br>Love
            Rachell
          • meloniebugs
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 11 3:34 PM
              This group is for everyone, but discusses mostly
              using the Charlotte Mason method in combination with
              the Well Trained Mind method. You do not have to be
              using either method currently or exclusively to join
              and you are encouraged to check it out and post your
              questions and comments. <br><br>If you would like to become
              a member, email me and I will send you an
              invitation. For more information, please contact me, Melonie,
              via email @ BugStickers@....<br><br>Thank you.
            • meloniebugs
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 11 3:39 PM
                We are using English From the Roots Up for Latin
                and Greek. This is a very simple curriculum and uses
                convenient flashcards as well. We work on a word a day for
                3-4 days per week. This week we studied: photos,
                graph and tele. The kids are very excited to see that
                Latin and Greek are the "same as English words." (Or so
                they seem to them). :-) <br><br>I would like to know
                what other foreign language curriculums there are that
                are user friendly (easy, in other words) and fun.
                What are you using and how often do you
              • meloniebugs
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 11 3:53 PM
                  We are currently using English From the Roots Up.
                  We have found this to be a very easy and fun
                  curriculum. There are color coded flashcards for the words
                  according to whether they are Latin or Greek. We study 3-4
                  words per week and the kids really enjoy it. They can
                  better understand large words when they come to them,
                  such as photosynthesis. Photo means light, so with our
                  study of plants, they can correlate photo with light.
                  We would highly recommend checking it out for your
                • mommyinkaty
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 11 4:36 PM
                    I'm just getting into the Original Series by CM
                    (slow going....lol). I've had some trouble getting hold
                    of the companion volumes by other authors, but think
                    I got the remainder of it sorted out through Barnes
                    and Noble. In addition to Simply Grammar, I am using
                    Spalding Phonics and am looking into Ray's Arithmetic and
                    Chicago Math. My children are 13, 11, 8 and 5.<br><br>I'm
                    really excited about starting my homeschooling using
                    this method. We were pleased to see that 50% of the
                    recommended reading list by DTH was already in our home.
                    at spring break for a variety of disturbing reasons
                    (the youngest finishes preschool this year at our
                    church). I tried Alpha Omega as a stop gap for the
                    remainder of the school year and it was an unmitigated
                    disaster. They HATED the workbooks. I soon after discovered
                    CM which fits in with my merry tribe of compulsive
                    readers.<br><br>Anyone have an idea on using Harry Potter for a unit
                    study?
                  • mommyinkaty
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 11 4:43 PM
                      Sorry to seem dense, but I am new to
                      this.<br><br>As for our schooling, we are DEschooling our 3 older
                      children after a traumatic year in PS. We do school when
                      the mood strikes us. Today we did chores, went to our
                      HS Support Group play date at a local park and then
                      took a nap.<br><br>I am focusing my energies right now
                      in studying the CM Method and getting my books and
                      info in order. When Fall hits, I'll be ready!!!
                    • meloniebugs
                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 11 6:00 PM
                        Welcome to our group! It is always so encouraging
                        to see new homeschoolers coming in with questions
                        and a strong passion for homeschooling and guiding
                        their children at home. My name is Melonie. I am the
                        founder of the group. I am starting on my third year of
                        homeschooling. I have a daughter, Erika, who is 11 and a son,
                        Jayce, who is 8. They were both in PS until February of
                        1999. Due to "traumatic issues" at school, we too
                        decided to homeschool. You'll be glad to hear that we
                        have JUST gotten into the swing of things THIS year.
                        We had to DE-school as well. This last year we tried
                        unschooling, Charlotte Mason, structured, etc. We tried evey
                        curriculum under the sun our first year. It wasn't until a
                        good friend of mine, Adrienne, introduced me to CM
                        that I found out that there is a better way. CM is
                        great with the short lessons and not taxing the
                        children or ourselves. I pitched out ALL of our scope and
                        sequences and simply *asked* the kids what THEY wanted to
                        learn. I was shocked. My daughter said French, my son
                        said science, and they both said math! I think I heard
                        the angels sing at that point!<br><br>I read the Well
                        Trained Mind about a month ago and found it to be similar
                        to that of CM in the sense that quality reading and
                        foreign language study are encouraged. The WTM gave
                        overviews of curriculums that were used and that I found to
                        be very helpful. <br><br>So I have taken methods
                        from both to customize both children's educations and
                        thrown in a bit of unschooling for them to pursue their
                        own interests. For instance, if a friend calls, like
                        today, to do a mini unit study, we drop that day's work
                        and go for it! I am not on any particular *schedule*
                        and I don't think that evey book has to be complete
                        by a certain time of year. We have lesson plans, but
                        if something comes up, it gets moved to the next
                        day.<br><br>BTW--LLATL is Learning Language Arts Through Literature. It
                        is a curriculum that is based dissecting on
                        literature for language arts. <br><br>Thank you for joining
                        in with our discussion. I hope you will find it to
                        be helpful and encouraging.<br>~Melonie~
                      • meloniebugs
                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 15 11:46 AM
                          After doing some research on Latin courses, I
                          have found that lots of people highly recommend the
                          Latina Christiana courses. Has anyone here used this
                          before? I am planning to teach it this Fall along with
                          Famous Men of Rome by Greenleaf Press. I would be
                          interested in your thoughts and comments.<br>Thanks you!
                        • mamafalso
                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 19 12:28 PM
                            Welcome to Homeschooling! We are brand new (Feb
                            2001) as well. Devin is 10 yrs. old and was in 5th
                            grade ps when we decided a change was needed. Oh it is
                            so freeing to be able to focus on what he is
                            interested in and take the time to explore our world and
                            learn all of the time. He just finished the Harry
                            Potter series and we have done a few of the projects
                            here:
                            almost overwhelming! We are also using Saxon Math, which
                            is boring Dev to death so will probably look for
                            something else. Any suggestions would be helpful. He is
                            sort of a mathematical sponge so I have a hard time
                            keeping up with him. We are also reading the "History of
                            US" series which is so engaging. I am really trying
                            to keep our learning fun and constant, ie. we have a
                            schedule of subjects to follow, but don't always sit down
                            with a book to cover them. Usually we will cook or go
                            for a walk and look at the seasonal changes to cover
                            science, etc... His whole being is more relaxed and
                            focused and even interesting. This is a good thing!:)
                          • meloniebugs
                            Message 13 of 22 , Apr 20 3:52 AM
                              We have found SO many things in nature to study
                              over the last year. We hatched Monarch butterflies and
                              that was such a rewarding experience. The kids were so
                              excited to get up in the morning to see yet another
                              butterfly hatching from its cocoon. We also planted a lanai
                              garden. (The ground at our home is so full of rocks!)
                              They have been amazed at how the plants grow. My son,
                              Jayce, comes to me every morning begging me to come take
                              a look at his peas! They have been their full
                              responsibility and I have only tried to give suggestions when
                              needed. We went to the library for a seminar on container
                              gardening this week. At first, they were bored, but at the
                              end when they started taking questions, my children's
                              hands went up several times! They were so interested in
                              finding out how to properly care for their plants. The
                              next day they insisted we go to Lowe's to buy more
                              plants, so we did. (I *love* plants as well.) While
                              planting them, they reminded me *continuously* about what
                              the speaker said about planting them and caring for
                              them. It was SO neat!!<br><br>My son has become the
                              family fisherman! He fishes every day in the canals
                              around our home and catches at least a fish a day! He's
                              watching the *pond* life up close. My daughter, Erika, is
                              focused on butterflies. :-) <br><br>I encourage you to
                              step out into nature today! Buy your kids a plant and
                              let it be their full responsibility. The best
                              investment of this year has been binoculars. (Wal-Mart has a
                              great little pair for $10). Buy your son or daughter a
                              fishing pole. (A can of worms is only $2). You will be
                              surprised at the questions they ask and how you'll go
                              together to search for the information. It's such an
                              awesome learning experience and it's all around us!!
                            • meloniebugs
                              Message 14 of 22 , Apr 20 4:06 AM
                                Hi Monica!! Glad you could join us! WOW! I didn't
                                know you have only been homeschooling since Feb.
                                There's something about that month. I took mine out of
                                school during Feb. as well, and have met SEVERAL other
                                people who have done the same! :-) <br><br>I'm glad to
                                see that you are having such a wonderful time. It
                                really is so awesome to have the opportunity to teach
                                our own. We get to see every discovery they make and
                                we get to learn right along with them. I feel so
                                blessed! <br><br>We are strating on our third year this
                                year. If you ever have any questions, don't hesitate to
                                ask. You can even email me directly if you like. I get
                                these messages from this board via email as well. It's
                                slow moving as it's just getting started, so I'm not
                                overwhelmed with em's.<br><br>That's so cool that you design
                                web pages. I always wanted to take a class on that.
                                Edison Comm. College has Kiddie College in the summer
                                and I sent my daughter to computer class there last
                                year. <br><br>Talk to you soon!! Happy homeschooling!!
                              • mamafalso
                                Message 15 of 22 , Apr 24 1:35 PM
                                  We went to our mandated check in with the Home
                                  Ed. Office today. I wasn't really nervous, really. I
                                  know there isn't anything bad they can do, and I had
                                  heard that Carolyn was a very nice woman. We gathered
                                  our records and some of the books we are using and I
                                  thought, wow, this is actually a lot of stuff! As we sat
                                  in the office, Devin spouted off all of the things
                                  he had learned, proudly displaying his knowledge of
                                  fractions, animal classification and US historical dates,
                                  and I realized we are doing great! He even threw out
                                  a couple of Japanese words he picked up. It has now
                                  occured to me that Devin has gobbled up more knowledgeand
                                  had more real life adventures in the last couple of
                                  months homeschooling than in years of public edu. - and
                                  he is excited about it! After all of that, I was
                                  almost sort of disapointed we didn't get some kind of
                                  award or certificate, but rather a simple "you are
                                  doing just fine" - and it dawned on me that I am really
                                  in complete control of my children's education. It
                                  is a little scary. But WOW, how wonderful! We are
                                  free!!!!!!! And we can do this :)
                                • mamafalso
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Apr 24 2:02 PM
                                    We, too, have a lanai garden which is totally
                                    Devin's responsibility. He just loves it. He is very good
                                    at taking care of his plants (which he doesn't get
                                    from me). We go for walks in our neighborhood everyday
                                    and take notice of things like ant hills, snake holes
                                    and different trees. We live close to a golf course
                                    and spotted a fox one day. We also try and take a
                                    couple of exploratory field trips at least twice a
                                    month. Our latest trip took us to Butterfly World in Ft.
                                    Lauderdale. It was glorious! Please check out the pictures we
                                    posted on our web site if you get a chance. It is such a
                                    beautiful place!
                                    first hand! Try this - once a month, have an afternoon
                                    picnic along the Sanibel Causeway. Keep a journal to
                                    record the sea creatures you encounter, the weather
                                    changes, even the population of humans as things change
                                    through the year. I guarantee you will be amazed by the
                                    beauty and educational experience!
                                  • meloniebugs
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Apr 29 1:35 PM
                                      EXERPTS TAKEN FROM CM-MONTHLY<br><br>When
                                      Catherine Levison used to publish her print newsletter, The
                                      readers to find <br>out how they were personally applying
                                      Charlotte Mason methods in <br>their homes and/or schools.�
                                      In upcoming issues of the CM-Monthly, <br>we'll be
                                      reprinting some of those survey results.� It's quite
                                      schools. <br>Here's the first question with some of the
                                      actual responses from
                                      example, use a combination of textbooks <br>and the
                                      Charlotte Mason method or unit studies and Charlotte Mason?
                                      eclectic approach.<br><br>**EXCLUSIVELY CHARLOTTE MASON**�
                                      -- 32%<br>(roughly half of these mentioned using a
                                      combine methods -- I'm trying to do 'the CM thing'
                                      Mason method although I pare down Saxon <br>for
                                      math."<br><br>"I pretty much use a CM approach with heavy emphasis
                                      on the arts (we <br>will illustrate many of our
                                      stories that are read for example). I <br>also like to
                                      integrate subjects though I do not use a unit study
                                      My main framework <br>is based on a classical
                                      education model. I try to use CM's<br>methods to <br>teach
                                      some of the subjects. These two approaches complement
                                      "TWADDLE-FREE" READING LIST<br>Recommended books for children
                                      and families<br>Go to:
                                      Education Home
                                      (six-volume
                                      Catherine
                                      this free newsletter, send a blank e-mail message
                                      by Deborah Taylor-Hough, author of "Frozen Assets:
                                      How to Cook for a Day and Eat for a Month" and "A
                                      Simple Choice: A Practical Guide to Saving Your Time,
                                      Money and Sanity" (May 2000).� For more info, go to:�
                                      CM-Monthly is a wonderful monthly email newsletter. It is
                                      chock full of CM ideas. Visit their website when you
                                      get a chance. Several are listed above. Have a great
                                      day!
                                    • meloniebugs
                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 7, 2001
                                        Hi. Just wanted to let you know that I am working
                                        diligently on forming a *new* homeschool support group for
                                        Lee County! It will be named Lee County Christian
                                        Homeschoolers Association. This will be a Christian support
                                        group working to edify the Saints through God's Word. I
                                        am planning LOTS of neat things and have enlisted
                                        the help of others who's heart is for certain people
                                        groups. I'll keep you posted on how this is formulating.
                                        TTFN!
                                      • bugstickers2001
                                        Message 19 of 22 , May 15, 2001
                                          We will be having a Well Trained Mind discussion
                                          meeting on the 18th from 1:30-3 at Lakes Park by the
                                          Lodge. We will be discussing the methods of the WTM and
                                          also other methods, as I have found that lots of
                                          people are using several different methods in their
                                          homeschools. This will be a very interesting meeting. I will
                                          post highlight here on the board for those who
                                          couldn't make it to the meeting. <br>Happy Homeschooling!
                                        • HolyQuest
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 28, 2001
                                            In a message dated 7/27/2001 10:12:05 PM Eastern
                                            Daylight Time, ccarter@... writes:<br><br>>
                                            Could you tell me a bit about the yahoo group
                                            Melonie<br>> set up? Knowing more about it might make it
                                            easier for me<br>> to evaluate the
                                            options.<br><br>This is the link to the yahoo group Melonie started.
                                            Yahoo! Clubs masontriviumgroup It is Called "Mason
                                            Trivium Group" because I believe that Melonie was
                                            interested in both Charlotte Mason and WTM when she authored
                                            the site. I am already signed up and anyone of you
                                            who are not, can sign-up free at anytime. Here is how
                                            keeping in touch this way would work:<br><br>1. Once a
                                            person has joined this yahoo group, s/he could either go
                                            to this site and post or s/he may REPLY to an email
                                            from someone from this group. Either way, her/his
                                            message would be sent to all members of the group via
                                            email.<br><br>2. When I receive this message from this person in
                                            my email, I can either READ it, DELETE it, or REPLY
                                            to it. If I REPLY to it, it will be sent to all the
                                            members via email as well as posted to the board listed
                                            above.<br><br>3. And so on and so on and so on... otherwise known
                                            as an email loop complete with bulletin
                                            board.<br><br>4. Important to note: when you join this group
                                            listed above, you must set your preferences to RECEIVE
                                            EMAILS from the board or you will have to log onto the
                                            board every time you want to read the posts. They
                                            provide this option for people who prefer to not receive
                                            the emails and would rather just go to the board when
                                            they are able to.<br><br>I hope this explanation
                                            helps. Let me kow what you all decide to do. I am
                                            leaning in the direction of using this board because
                                            after all, it is already there and it is free and we
                                            would not have to leave our house with everything else
                                            we all have going on in our lives. If you all prefer
                                            to meet, we could do that instead. <br><br>Of
                                            course, there is always the option of doing both. What I
                                            mean is, we can use the board whenever we have
                                            questions, ideas, etc. but we can still plan to meet once a
                                            month for face to face contact. Here is an example of
                                            what I mean: Perhaps I post to the board and you all
                                            read that I have purchased a great new book that I
                                            love related somehow to WTM and I tell you all I will
                                            bring it to the next meeting. Next, at the meeting that
                                            month, you are all able to check it out whilst we do
                                            whatever esle we might do at our meeting.<br><br>Whatever
                                            we plan to do, I volunteer to give the proper
                                            officials the details... Leslie so she knows what to tell
                                            others, Gwen so she can post dates of meetings in the
                                            SuperCalendar (which is a GREAT FREE tool and if you are not
                                            using it you must be silly :) and to whomever esle we
                                            deem necessary... like Adrienne for the monthly
                                            Bulletin. I will not need to tell Connie Carter for the
                                            GCHSA monthly newsletter as long as she remains a part
                                            message to the link above for the benefit of all those
                                            who have already joined.