Consortium Update

  • frank_stratford
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2010
      Brian Enke sent me an interesting article on the changing face of philanthropy in the US and after reading it this helped me to see that we may well have a viable sector to gain financial support from indirectly. If humans to Mars was largely controlled by prestigious universities (who according to Steve Squyres and others are more than capable), this is one aspect, but with tens of billions available in the US alone just from private philanthropists (who are now looking at more "bigger picture" projects to fund- such as humans to Mars), I think with a professional and solid mission design and some consensus from universities, we could then approach philanthropists and others for funding.

      The problem I am having now is that we need to get our design into the realm of what is acceptable for serious academics and engineers to accept. The Mobility issue for this reason needs to be either kept to a second mission or handled very, very carefully if we are to produce a viable design.

      Mike (or others), can you let me know in brief what you think are the current choke points were we keep getting bogged down on? I'd like to see things move forward.
    • Michael Bloxham
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 8, 2010
        Frank,

        I wouldn't worry too much that things have gone quiet lately. I have been busy studying for my exams which end this week; after which I plan to finish the MP4 concept in a report which I will present here. Once that concept is made clear I think we will have something to use somewhat as a baseline and launch forward with. I imagine that it would spur discussion on many levels.

        The mobile hab concept is technically sound - I think it is quite clear that they are completely viable from an engineering standpoint - especially as their size and capabilities come down to the range of the "normal" pressurized rover as envisioned for most fixed-hab architectures.

        I notice that there are still perceptual issues though - so I will try to address these in the report. To help me do that please continue to ask questions! I would be happy to answer them!

        I am very optimistic about the future. Whether or not we choose to move forward on MP4 I think we will learn a great deal from it.

        The simple idea of bringing the biggest smallest piece down to the point where scaled-up Viking-heritage EDL technology becomes viable is nothing short of revolutionary by itself, IMHO.

        - Mike

[...]

      • spacenutnewmars
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 14, 2010
          Sorry all I have been bogged down as well with family and so much more that I have yet to read the last 180 plus messages but promise to do so....