Consortium and Design Update- Breaking News.

  • frank_stratford
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 21, 2010
      Ok team, I have been spending some of my pent up energy in waiting for my wife on developing further the consortium idea and believe that I do have a way forward now.

      The biggest problem to me was HOW do we start this thing? The details eluded me until now but I think we may have the beginnings of a real plan.

      Universities.

      They are the logical sector to start with and they are already involved on many levels with space research and development programs. As a part of the consortium concept I have trying to figure out where all the pieces fit, and I think there is a way forward. I asked what would be required for universities to get together and jointly resource a humans to Mars program.

      This week I have communicated by email with the head of AURA http://www.aura-astronomy.org/ , Peter Smith of the UoA (Mars Phoenix) and to the head of a grouping of 105 universities for space research the USRA- http://www.usra.edu/

      The feedback I got was interesting and thought provoking.

      Part of my idea was what if NASA or corporate sponsors were to invest in this program to Universities and they all said a loud YES. They did tell me that the science benefits would have to be clarified in detail before they committed to this, but in principle it is an ok idea to them.

      This is where I need you team.

      We need 2 main things to be able to present to universities to get their endorsements, after which we (Marsdrive) can then start seeking financial sponsors for these universities and working with them to put together funding.(and the consortium)

      1. A mission design- does not have to be the "perfect one", but detailed enough to show them we are serious and know what we are talking about. (the final design will be different no doubt)
      2. A detailed listing of all research and development areas universities can get involved in for a humans to Mars program.

      As a part of this plan, I want to start an EDL grid computing simulation project as soon as possible, because I feel that EDL will really impact the final mass and shape of any design we come up with.

      The other project I am announcing is a Mars Advanced Research Simulator- a scaled/sealed "Mars Jar" where surface technologies can be tested, as can plant growth, etc- A hands on project we or a university can do. (we can raise funds and start some hardware contributions).

      The first part of this program will involve multiple universities and sponsors (around 6000 entities @ $300,000 a year for 10 years).

      This is $18 Billion team. A program of this size will need managers from the human space flight area (ISS/Apollo/Shuttle) involved, and I will aim to recruit such people when the time is right to lead this program.

      18 Billion will not fund a full mission to Mars, but with this amount of investment (or heading in that direction), NASA and other space agencies will take notice, and at that point we can get them involved in or even leading the consortium.

      Can this be done? The funds are there already via a mix of universities, corporate and government sponsors funds. So yes, it is there, and yes, these universities do see the value of human exploration of Mars.

      They are the one sector our ideas make complete sense to.

      So now I call on you team. I'd like to not go to these universities with our DRM 2.5, but what else can we produce? Let's keep it conservative, and I'd rather we get it right first then rush this. If it takes us a year or two, thats ok, time is on our side anyway.

      So Ron, Mike, Dave, Brian, everyone, are you ready? I will be seeking additional resources to help us in this effort, and if you want to post it around to all your forums and contacts, please do. It's time to go to Mars team.
    • spacenutnewmars
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 22, 2010
        A long time ago on the original web site forum before the crash we did discuss the use of the Universities as I was giving web links to many that I had found for such subjects as EDL, Radiation ect.... and even the building of robots and satelites at them. I even suggested the savaging of such projects even when not selected by Nasa for missions as I thought we could use these not used to leverage a way for MarsDrive to get a leg into the process....

        --- In marsdrivemission@yahoogroups.com, "frank_stratford" <frank_stratford@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > Can this be done? The funds are there already via a mix of universities, corporate and government sponsors funds. So yes, it is there, and yes, these universities do see the value of human exploration of Mars.
        >
        > They are the one sector our ideas make complete sense to.
        >
        > So now I call on you team. I'd like to not go to these universities with our DRM 2.5, but what else can we produce? Let's keep it conservative, and I'd rather we get it right first then rush this. If it takes us a year or two, thats ok, time is on our side anyway.
        >
        > So Ron, Mike, Dave, Brian, everyone, are you ready? I will be seeking additional resources to help us in this effort, and if you want to post it around to all your forums and contacts, please do. It's time to go to Mars team.

      • Michael Bloxham
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 17, 2010
          Frank,

          Obviously I really want to jump on your no1, and EDL simulation as you rightly point out is critical. Would you be able to make contact with the people that you know that could help us with this?

          - Mike