Maximus the Confessor

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 3, 2008

      If we genuinely love God, we cast out our passions by this very love. This is charity towards Him – to prefer Him to the world, the soul to the flesh, while scorning worldly matters to devote to oneself to Him continually by means of self-control, charity, prayer, and so on.

      Therefore the Savior says, “Blessed are the clean of heart, for they shall see God” (Matthew 5:8). They will then see Him, and the treasures in Him, when by love and self-control they purify themselves, and the more fully, the future they press the purification.

      Maximus the Confessor – Philokalia (Book 2)

    • nagwa.elmallakh@novartis.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 5, 2008

        IF YOU ARE A TRUE BELIEVER OF GOD THEN YOU WILL SPEND TWO MINUTES LOOKING AT THESE AMAZING PHOTOS THAT GET CRAZIER AND CRAZIER THESE PHOTOS HAVE NOT BEEN EDITED EXCEPT THE ONE WITH THE CIRCLE. BUT THE CIRCLE WAS THE ONLY THING ADDED.

        HIS CROCODILE:

        HIS SLEEPING CAT:

        EXPRESSING HIS LOVE:

        A TEDDY BEAR:

        AND ONE of HIS ANGELS:

        HIS HANDS:

        ONE MINUTE FOR GOD:

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 30, 2008

          Christ is Risen! + Truly, He is Risen!

          Message 4 of 14 , May 23 4:16 PM

            Christ is Risen! + Truly, He is Risen!

            The kingdom of God the Father is present in all believers in potentiality; it is present in actuality in those who, after totally expelling all natural life of soul and body from the inner state, have attained the life of the Spirit alone and are able to say, “I no longer live, but Christ lives in me” (Galatians 2:20).

            Maximus the Confessor – Philokalia (Book 2)

            Message 5 of 14 , May 27 1:28 PM
              Christ is Risen! + Truly He is Risen!

              The whole Trinity co-operated in the mystery of the Incarnation, each Person being wholly in the other, yet only the Son and Word took flesh. The Father approved, the Holy Spirit co-operated, and the Son effected His own Incarnation. In this manner the effective casualty of the Incarnation and of our salvation that flows from it is reserved to the substance of the God-head, yet the personal activity of the divine Persons is not obscured. And in fact, our salvation if often enough put in relation with the diverse Persons, as is clear in the matter of our sonship by adoption, or as when life and sanctification are especially referred to the Holy Spirit as His personal prerogative.

              Maximus the Confessor – The Ascetic Life (On Doctrine §4)

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 15, 2009

                Because He wishes to unite us in nature and will with one another, and in His goodness urges all humanity towards this goal, God in His love entrusted His saving commandments to us, ordaining simply that we should show mercy and receive mercy (Matthew 5:7).

                Maximus the Confessor - The Philokalia (Book 2)

                http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2261271

                http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2261216

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 7, 2009
                  The person who loves God cannot help loving every man as himself, even though he is grieved by the passions of those who are not yet purified. But when they amend their lives, his delight is indescribable and knows no bounds.

                  Maximus the Confessor
                  From: The Philokalia (Volume 2)
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 27, 2009
                    Many have said much about love, but you will find love itself only if you seek it among the disciples of Christ. For only they have true Love as love’s teacher. ‘Though I have the gift of prophecy’, says St. Paul, ‘and know all mysteries and knowledge… and have no love, it profits me nothing’ (I Cor. 13: 2-3). He who possesses love possesses God Himself, for ‘God is love’ (I John 4: 8). Maximus the Confessor
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 19, 2009
                      The principal vices – stupidity, cowardice, licentiousness, injustice – are the ‘image’ of the ‘earthy’ man. The principal virtues – intelligence, courage, self-restraint, justice – are the ‘image’ of the ‘heavenly’. man. As we have borne the image of the earthy, let us also bear the image of the heavenly (cf. I Cor. 15: 49).

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 25, 2010
                        When the mind inclines towards God, it has the body as its servant and gives it no more than is needful for its life; but when it inclines towards the flesh, it becomes a slave of its passions.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 10, 2011
                          Christ is Born! + Glorify Him!

                          For through His Incarnation He pursues us all days until He gets hold of those who are to be saved.

                          Maximus the Confessor, Four Hundred Chapters on Love
                          Selected Writings
                          http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/3018524/maximus-confessor-selected-writings

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 9 6:18 PM
                            Christ is Risen! + Truly He is Risen!

                            The mystery of the incarnation of the Logos is the key to all arcane symbolism and typology in the Scriptures, and in addition gives us knowledge of created things, both visible and intelligible. He who apprehends the mystery of the cross and the burial apprehends the inwards essences of created things; while he who is initiated into the inexpressible power of the resurrection apprehends the purpose for which God first established everything.

                            Maximus the Confessor; Philokalia - Volume 2; Two Hundred Texts on Theology and the Incarnate Dispensation of the Son of God; §66

                            Be sure to join The Orthodox Bookstore on Facebook and/or Twitter!

                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 27, 2012

                              It is necessary that the one who seeks after God in a religious way never hold fast to the letter lest he mistakenly understand things said about God for God himself.  In this case we unwisely are satisfied with the words of Scripture in place of the Word, and the Word slips out of the mind while we thought by holding on to his garments we could possess the incorporeal Word.

                              Maximus the Confessor
                              From: Maximus Confessor: Selected Writings

                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 7, 2013
                                He who busies himself with the sins of others, or judges his brother on suspicion, has not yet even begun to repent or to examine himself so as to discover his own sins, which are truly heavier than a great lump of lead; nor does he know why a man becomes heavyhearted when he loves vanity and chases after falsehood (cf. Ps. 4:2). That is why, like a fool who walks in darkness, he no longer attends to his own sins but lets his imagination dwell on the sins of others, whether these sins are real or merely the products of his own suspicious mind.