Anselm

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2007

      Awake, my soul, awake! Show your spirit, arouse your senses, shake off the sluggishness of that deadly heaviness that is upon you, and begin to take care for your salvation. Let the idleness of vain imaginations be put to flight, let go of sloth, hold fast to diligence. Be instant in holy meditations, cleave to the good things which are of God: leaving that which is temporal, give heed to that which is eternal. Now in this godly employment of your mind, to what can you turn your thoughts more wholesomely and profitably than to the sweet contemplations of your Creator's immeasurable benefits toward you. Consider therefore the greatness and dignity that he bestowed upon you at the beginning of your creation; and judge for yourself with what love and reverence he ought to be worshipped.

      - Anselm (1033-1109), from Meditation I, of the Devotions of Saint Anselm Archbishop of Canterbury