Cyril of Alexandria

  • marksedrak
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 25, 2007

      Christ is mercy and justice. As we have obtained mercy through Him, we were exonerated and through our faith in Him, our sins were expunged.

      Cyril of Alexandria

    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 28 1:31 PM

        Christ is Risen! + Truly, He is Risen!

        The women came to the sepulcher, and when they could not find the body of Christ, – for He had risen, – they were much perplexed. And what followed? For their love's sake to Christ, and their earnest zeal thereunto, they were counted worthy of seeing holy angels, who even told them the joyful tidings, and became the heralds of the resurrection, saying, "Why seek you the living among the dead? He is not here, but is risen." For the Word of God ever lives, and is by His own nature Life: but when He humbled Himself to emptying, and submitted to be made like to us, He tasted death. But this proved to be the death of death: for He arose from the dead, to be the way whereby not Himself so much but we rather return to incorruption. And let no one seek Him Who ever lives among the dead; for He is not here, with mortality, that is, and in the tomb: but where rather is He? in heaven plainly, and in godlike glory. And more firmly to settle the faith of the women in these things, they recall to their minds what Christ had said, that "He must necessarily be given up into the hands of sinners, and suffer, and the third day rise again."

        Cyril of Alexandria - Commentary on Luke, Sermon on Luke 24:4

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 5, 2009
          What indeed does blessed Paul say? “There is one God,” he says concerning the Father. And it is concerning the Son that he says, “one mediator between God and man” (1 Tim. 2:5). If, he says, He became man, we should not for this reason suspect that He is two things. For just as the Logos was God before the advent, so also in becoming man and mediating in the human nature, he is again one. This is why he has been called Mediator between God and man, because He is one out of both essences. - Cyril of Alexandria

          Against Those Unwilling to Confess that the Holy Virgin Is Theotokos
          http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2364049

          On sale for $10 through Friday, August 14th, 2009, or while supplies last.

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 19, 2009
            Do not consider your riches as belonging to yourselves alone; open wide your hand to those who are in need; assist those who are in poverty and pain.

            Cyril of Alexandria
            Commentary on the Gospel According to St. Luke
            From: The Bible and the Holy Fathers for Orthodox
            ______________________________

            Be sure to join The Orthodox Bookstore page on Facebook and/or follow us on Twitter!

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 21, 2009

              From: The Bible and the Holy Fathers for Orthodox
              ______________________________

              Be sure to join The Orthodox Bookstore page on Facebook and/or follow us on Twitter!

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 7, 2010
                If we had not sinned [Christ] would not have become like us; and if He had not become like us, neither would He have endured the cross; and if He had not died, neither would He have had to be worshiped by ourselves and the angels.

                Cyril of Alexandria, Dialogues on the Holy Trinity
                From: The Faith of the Early Fathers - Volume 3

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 10, 2010

                  The Law, remember, had been burdensome to everyone, conveying shadows and types; far from imparting instruction for mind and heart in regard to what is essential, it merely conveyed what was, as it were, and external knowledge as though simply in a text. The saving proclamation if the Gospel, by contrast, is uttered when the Holy Spirit reveals the depth of one’s mind, imparts spiritual understandings, conveys the sayings of the holy ones and imprints in them, as it were, by fire on the innermost recesses of the mind.

                  Cyril of Alexandria, Commentary on Isaiah 40
                  http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/9376887/cyril-of-alexandria-commentary-on-isaiah-vol-3

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 27, 2010
                    And because He was God, ineffably made flesh, He knew only the good and was exempt from that depravity that belongs to humanity. And this too is an attribute of the supreme Substance, for that which is good by nature, firmly and unchangeable, belongs specially to it, and it only, for there is none good but God, as the Savior Himself has said.

                    Cyril of Alexandria, Homilies on the Gospel of Luke
                    Ancient Christian Doctrine, Volume 2
                    http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/6860117/ancient-christian-doctrine-volume-2-we
                    http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/6860028/ancient-christian-doctrine-series

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 27, 2012
                      Jesus calls the quickening gift of the Spirit "living water" because mere human nature is parched to its very roots, now rendered dry and barren of all virtue by the crimes of the devil. But now human nature runs back to its pristine beauty, and drinking in that which is life-giving, it is made beautiful with a variety of good things and budding into a virtuous life, it sends out healthy shoots of love toward God.

                      Cyril of Alexandria, Commentary on the Gospel of John 2:4
                      From: On the Way to the Cross
                      _________________________
                      Be sure to check out our Lenten Specials which include Free Shipping!
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 8, 2012
                        Learning from the Gospel would therefore be truly good, as would the force of life in Christ. So it must be proclaimed to the lovers of the text, "Learn to do good, and seek out justice", that is, judge fairly.

                        Cyril of Alexandria, Commentary on Isaiah, Volume 1, Chapter 1:17
                        http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/3396992/cyril-of-alexandria-commentary-on-isaiah-vol-1

                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 21, 2012

                          For while it is men’s duty to examine themselves, and to order their conduct according to God’s will, they leave this alone to busy themselves with the affairs of others: and if they see any infirm, forgetting as it seems their own frailties, they make it an excuse for faultfinding, and a handle for calumny. For they condemn them, not knowing that being equally afflicted with the same infirmities as those whom they censure, they condemn themselves.

                          Cyril of Alexandria, Commentary on the Gospel According to St. Luke
                          http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2311078/the-bible-and-holy-fathers-for-orthodox

                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 20, 2013
                            O sublime condescension! The Creator gives himself to his creatures for their delight. Life bestows itself on mortals as food and drink. “Come, eat my body,” he exhorts us, “and drink the wine I have mingled for you. I have prepared myself as food. I have mingled myself for those who desire me. Of my own will I became flesh and have become a partaker of your flesh and blood. . . . Eat of me as I am life, and live, for this is what I desire. . . . Eat my bread, for I am the life-giving grain of the wheat, and I am the bread of life. Drink the wine I have mingled for you, for I am the draught of immortality. . . . I am the true vine; drink my joy, the wine that I have mingled for you.”

                            Cyril of Alexandria, Meditation on the Mystical Supper 10

                            Sunday Sermons of the Great Fathers, Volume 1

                            http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2261143/sunday-sermons-of-the-great-fathers-4