Adopting from Guatemala

  • Mark Afandi
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2007
      Dear Friends all of you,
      As U know or should know that Diane and I started the process of adopting a Benjamin from Guatemala. The Guatemalan government is changing the rules in mid game. That is were your help is needed.....
      How you will ask??!!. Help us being a voice to our US legislature by asking them to pressure the Guatemalan govermnent not to change the rules on people that were already in the middle of the adoption process. As many of you kow the effort that we put to for the last year you should willingly and happilly help.  God will bless for it.

      You may send this to as many people as you wish.  It is not copy writed.

      Diane and Mark

      How YOU can participate in the Guatemala 5000 Initiative

      Make six simple phone calls and one email.

      1.       Call your U.S. Senator.
      ·
               You can find your Senators’ phone numbers at www.senate.gov
      ·
               Ask to speak with the Legislative Director or Chief of Staff

      2.   Call your second U.S. Senator.

      3.   Call your representative to the U.S. House of Representative.

      ·
               You can find your representative at www.house.gov
      ·
               Ask to speak with the Legislative Director or Chief of Staff

      4.
             Call or fax the Department of State’s Office of Children’s Issues
      ·
               Their number is 202-736-9130
      ·
               Their fax number is 202-736-9080

      5.       Call or fax UNICEF Headquarter

      ·
               Ask to speak with Ann Veneman, Executive Director|
      ·
               Their number is 212-326-7000
      ·
               Their fax number is 212-326-7758

      6.
             Call or fax UNICEF Guatemala
      ·
               Ask to speak with Manuel Manrique
      ·
               Their number is 011-502-2327-6373
      ·
               Their fax number is 011-502-2327.6366

      7
      .       Send and email supporting Intercountry Adoption to guatemala5000@...
      ·
               Write briefly or at length
      Hello friends or Foes

      As U Know Diane and I were in the process of adopting a Benjamin from Guatemala.  The Guatemalan government is changing the rules in mid game.  That is were your help is needed.....How you will ask??!!.

      Help us being a voice to our US legeslature asking them to pressure the Guatemalan govermnent not to change the rules on people that were already in the middle of the aqdoption process.  As many of you kow the effort that we`put to bring Benjamin to Houston.

      help us keep the dream alive.....God will bless you for this

      Mark and Diane

      Joint Council will use the cumulative email petition in our advocacy for Intercountry Adoption

      When should you call?
      Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday (October 8th, 9th 10th)
      For maximum affect, we are asking you to make these calls within a 72 hour window!

      What should you say?
      Speak from your heart and give them the following information:
      ·
               The Guatemalan government has announced that all adoptions with the U.S. will be suspended on January 1 2008.
      ·
               Their announcement also indicated that there will be no ‘grandfathering’ of adoptions already in process.
      ·
               If children referred to families are not allowed to be adopted, they will languish in institutions or foster care.
      ·
               Your office must get involved and sign the CCAI sponsored letters to the President of Guatemala and UNICEF.  These letters ask that all adoptions in-process as of January 1 2008 be allowed to processed to completion under the existing notorial laws.
      ·
               Your office should contact the Office of Children’s Issues at the Department of State.  Their number is 202-736-9130.

      Can you explain the problem behind the pending crisis?  Here is some additional information…
      ·
               Guatemalan President Oscar Berger has announced plans to effectively stop all adoptions into the United States including those children who have already been referred to adoptive parents
      ·
               Over 5,000 children have been referred
      ·
               The birthparents for these children have already relinquished their parental rights.  As a result, they currently have no family and the Berger suspension will result in these children having no prospect for a permanent, safe and loving family
      ·
               The government of Guatemala currently does not have the finances or facilities to even provide housing for these 5,000 children
      ·
               The Berger plan is a crisis waiting to happen