Jonah 1

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2004
      {Jonah Tries to Run Away from God}

      Now the word of the LORD came to Jonah son of Amittai, saying, "Go at once
      to Nineveh, that great city, and cry out against it; for their wickedness
      has come up before me." But Jonah set out to flee to Tarshish from the
      presence of the LORD. He went down to Joppa and found a ship going to
      Tarshish; so he paid his fare and went on board, to go with them to
      Tarshish, away from the presence of the LORD.

      But the LORD hurled a great wind upon the sea, and such a mighty storm came
      upon the sea that the ship threatened to break up. Then the mariners were
      afraid, and each cried to his god. They threw the cargo that was in the ship
      into the sea, to lighten it for them. Jonah, meanwhile, had gone down into
      the hold of the ship and had lain down, and was fast asleep. The captain
      came and said to him, "What are you doing sound asleep? Get up, call on your
      god! Perhaps the god will spare us a thought so that we do not perish."

      The sailors said to one another, "Come, let us cast lots, so that we may
      know on whose account this calamity has come upon us." So they cast lots,
      and the lot fell on Jonah. Then they said to him, "Tell us why this calamity
      has come upon us. What is your occupation? Where do you come from? What is
      your country? And of what people are you?" "I am a Hebrew," he replied. "I
      worship the LORD, the God of heaven, who made the sea and the dry land."
      Then the men were even more afraid, and said to him, "What is this that you
      have done!" For the men knew that he was fleeing from the presence of the
      LORD, because he had told them so.

      Then they said to him, "What shall we do to you, that the sea may quiet down
      for us?" For the sea was growing more and more tempestuous. He said to them,
      "Pick me up and throw me into the sea; then the sea will quiet down for you;
      for I know it is because of me that this great storm has come upon you."
      Nevertheless the men rowed hard to bring the ship back to land, but they
      could not, for the sea grew more and more stormy against them. Then they
      cried out to the LORD, "Please, O LORD, we pray, do not let us perish on
      account of this man's life. Do not make us guilty of innocent blood; for
      you, O LORD, have done as it pleased you." So they picked Jonah up and threw
      him into the sea; and the sea ceased from its raging. Then the men feared
      the LORD even more, and they offered a sacrifice to the LORD and made vows.

      But the LORD provided a large fish to swallow up Jonah; and Jonah was in the
      belly of the fish three days and three nights.

      Jonah 1

      Check out the following WebPages

      Coptic Orphans
      <http://www.copticorphans.org>

      St. Shenouda the Archimanidrite Coptic Society
      <http://www.stshenouda.com/>

      Coptic Orthodox Christian Center (C.O.C.C)
      <http://www.thecocc.org/>

      Pope Shenouda Coptic Orthodox Theological Seminary (LA branch)
      <http://www.geocities.com/copticseminary/>

      St. Athanasius WebPages
      <http://www.st-athanasius.org>

      St. Athanasius Youth WebPages
      <http://www.stayouth.8k.com>

      UCLA Coptic Club WebPages
      <http://www.studentgroups.ucla.edu/coptic/>

      Cal Poly Pomona Coptic Club
      <http://www.csupomona.edu/~coptic/>

      St. Mary & St. Verena Web Pages
      <http://www.saintverena.org>

      St. Abanoub and St. Antony
      <http://www.saintabanoub.org>

      St. John the Beloved Web Page
      <http://www.saintjohnorthodox.com/>

      Verse of the Day
      <http://www.votdonline.com>

      Mark Sadek
      <http://members.aol.com/marksadek>

      St. George Coptic Orthodox Church, New York
      <http://www.cocstgeorge.org>

      St. George Coptic Orthodox Church, Bellflower, CA
      <http://www.stgeorge-lacopts.org>

      Archangel Michael in Santa Ana, CA
      <http://www.archangelmichaeloc.org>

      St. Mary & Archangel Raphael
      Burlington, Vermont
      <http://copticvt.tripod.com>

      St. George Youth
      Bellflower, CA
      <http://www.stgeorgeyouth.com/>

      myCopticChurch.com - The Coptic Experience
      <http://www.myCopticChurch.com/>

      Cal State Fullerton Coptic Club
      <http://www32.brinkster.com/csufcopticclub/homepage>

      Coptic Liturgical Vestments and other Liturgical items.
      <http://www.heavenlyembroidery.com>