The Littlest Fireman

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2004
      The Littlest Fireman
      Author Unknown

      Stop telling God how big your storm is. Instead tell your storm how big your
      GOD is.

      In Phoenix, Arizona, a 26-year-old mother stared down at her 6 year old son,
      who was dying of terminal leukemia. Although her heart was filled with
      sadness, she also had a strong feeling of determination. Like any parent,
      she wanted her son to grow up and fulfill all his dreams. Now that was no
      longer possible..

      The leukemia would see to that. But she still wanted her son's dreams to
      come true. She took her son's hand and asked, "Billy, did you ever think
      about what you wanted to be once you grew up? Did you ever dream and wish
      what you would do with your life?"

      Mommy, "I always wanted to be a fireman when I grew up."

      Mom smiled back and said, "Let's see if we can make your wish come true."

      Later that day she went to her local fire department in Phoenix, Arizona,
      where she met Fireman Bob, who had a heart as big as Phoenix. She explained
      her son's final wish and asked if it might be possible to give her
      six-year-old son a ride around the block on a fire engine.

      Fireman Bob said, "Look, we can do better than that. If you'll have your son
      ready at seven o'clock Wednesday morning, we'll make him an honorary fireman
      for the whole day. He can come down to the fire station, eat with us, go out
      on all the fire calls, the whole nine yards! And if you'll give us his
      sizes, we'll get a real fire uniform for him, with a real fire hat-not a toy
      one-with the emblem of the Phoenix Fire Department on it, a yellow slicker
      like we wear and rubber boots. They're all manufactured right here in
      Phoenix, so we can get them fast."

      Three days later Fireman Bob picked up Billy, dressed him in his fire
      uniform and escorted him from his hospital bed to the waiting hook and
      ladder truck. Billy got to sit on the back of the truck and help steer it
      back to the fire station. He was in heaven. There were three fire calls in
      Phoenix that day and Billy got to go out on all three calls. He rode in the
      different fire engines, the paramedic's van, and even the fire chief's car.
      He was also videotaped for the local news program. Having his dream come
      true, with all the love and attention that was lavished upon him, so deeply
      touched Billy that he lived three months longer than any doctor thought
      possible.

      One night all of his vital signs began to drop dramatically and the head
      nurse, who believed in the hospice concept that no one should die alone,
      began to call the family members to the hospital. Then she remembered the
      day Billy had spent as a fireman, so she called the Fire Chief and asked if
      it would be possible to send a fireman in uniform to the hospital to be with
      Billy as he made his transition. The chief replied, "We can do better than
      that. We'll be there in five minutes. Will you please do me a favor?

      When you hear the sirens screaming and see the lights flashing, will you
      announce over the PA system that there is not a fire? It's just the fire
      department coming to see one of its finest members one more time. And will
      you open the window to his room?

      About five minutes later a hook and ladder truck arrived at the hospital and
      extended its ladder up to Billy's third floor open window. 16 firefighters
      climbed up the ladder into Billy's room. With his mother's permission, they
      hugged him and held him and told him how much they loved him. With his dying
      breath, Billy looked up at the fire chief and said, "Chief, am I really a
      fireman now?" "Billy, you are, and the Head Chief, Jesus, is holding your
      hand," the chief said.

      With those words, Billy smiled and said, "I know, He's been holding my hand
      all day, and the angels have been singing.." He closed his eyes one last
      time.

      Check out the following WebPages

      Coptic Orphans
      <http://www.copticorphans.org>

      St. Shenouda the Archimanidrite Coptic Society
      <http://www.stshenouda.com/>

      Coptic Orthodox Christian Center (C.O.C.C)
      <http://www.thecocc.org/>

      Pope Shenouda Coptic Orthodox Theological Seminary (LA branch)
      <http://www.geocities.com/copticseminary/>

      St. Athanasius WebPages
      <http://www.st-athanasius.org>

      St. Athanasius Youth WebPages
      <http://www.stayouth.8k.com>

      UCLA Coptic Club WebPages
      <http://www.studentgroups.ucla.edu/coptic/>

      Cal Poly Pomona Coptic Club
      <http://www.csupomona.edu/~coptic/>

      St. Mary & St. Verena Web Pages
      <http://www.saintverena.org>

      St. Abanoub and St. Antony
      <http://www.saintabanoub.org>

      St. John the Beloved Web Page
      <http://www.saintjohnorthodox.com/>

      Verse of the Day
      <http://www.votdonline.com>

      Mark Sadek
      <http://members.aol.com/marksadek>

      St. George Coptic Orthodox Church, New York
      <http://www.cocstgeorge.org>

      St. George Coptic Orthodox Church, Bellflower, CA
      <http://www.stgeorge-lacopts.org>

      Archangel Michael in Santa Ana, CA
      <http://www.archangelmichaeloc.org>

      St. Mary & Archangel Raphael
      Burlington, Vermont
      <http://copticvt.tripod.com>

      St. George Youth
      Bellflower, CA
      <http://www.stgeorgeyouth.com/>

      myCopticChurch.com - The Coptic Experience
      <http://www.myCopticChurch.com/>

      Cal State Fullerton Coptic Club
      <http://www32.brinkster.com/csufcopticclub/homepage>

      Coptic Liturgical Vestments and other Liturgical items.
      <http://www.heavenlyembroidery.com>