Help with Chrysostom Quote

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 13 12:33 PM
      Does anybody have a copy of Chrysostom's Homily 9 on Hebrews in Greek?

      I am trying to make a copy of a phrase that I have found in a
      17th-century British theology book, quoting the above, but the Greek
      print is so stylized that I cannot make out with certainty the letters
      of the last word.

      The phrase, as best I know to transliterate it, is:

      to gar kainous poeisthai tou loutrou monon wsi

      which the author paraphrases as "Baptism only makes us new Creatures."
      The English text reads, "for to make new is of the laver only."

      The last word looks like omega sigma iota, but the first letter is so
      swirly that I am not sure. It actually looks superfluous to the
      statement to me.

      Please reply ASAP if you can help me out.

      Thanks,

      Paul
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/biblicalspirituality/