Ephraim the Syrian

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 30, 2006

      Grant us, O our Lord, to bring Thee three choice gifts. Grant us, O our Lord, to burn three aromatic censers before Thee.

      Grant us, O our Lord, to light for Thee three brightly burning lamps: the spirit, the soul and the body, these three gifts for the One Trinity.

      Let us dedicate the spirit to the Father, the soul to the Son and the body to the Holy Spirit, the Spirit which will raise it again from dust.

      O Father, consecrate our spirit to Thyself! O Son, consecrate our soul to Thyself! O Holy Spirit, consecrate to Thyself our body which is afflicted with sores.

      Grant us, O our Lord, to rejoice in Thee, and mayest Thou rejoice in us in the last day. To Thee is praise, from the spirit, soul and body. And unto us be Thy mercies.

      Ephraim the Syrian

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 20, 2007

        O God, I am an empty earthly jar, fill me as you filled the stone water jars with life.

        I am hungry; feed me as you fed the five thousand with the blessed bread.

        Ephraim the Syrian

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 20, 2008

          O Lord and Master of my life, give me not a spirit of sloth, vain curiosity, lust for power, and idle talk, but give me Thy servant a spirit of soberness, humility, patience, and love. O Lord and King, grant me to see my brother: for blessed art Thou to the ages of ages. Amen.

          Ephraim the Syrian

          From: Hymns on Paradise

          This book is part of St. Vladimir's Popular Patristic Series

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 21, 2008
            O Lord and Master of my life, give me not a spirit of sloth, vain curiosity, lust for power, and idle talk, but give to me, your servant, a spirit of soberness, humility, patience, and love. O Lord and king, grant me to see my own faults and not condemn my brother.

            Ephraim the Syrian
            Message 5 of 12 , May 20, 2009
              Christ is Risen! + Truly He is Risen!

              Preserve your tongue from all manner of evil, and may your lips that were created for praise, not pronounce words of blasphemy.

              Ephraim the Syrian
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 24, 2009
                Virtues are formed by prayer.
                Prayer preserves temperance,
                suppresses anger,
                restrains pride and envy,
                draws down the Holy Spirit into the soul,
                and raises man to heaven.

                Ephraim the Syrian
                From: Orthodox Prayer Life

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 19, 2011

                  Even though there is only one baptism for the whitening of stains, yet there are two eyes which, when filled with tears, provide a baptismal font for the limbs. For the Creator knew well beforehand that sins multiply in us at all times, and though there is only a single baptism, he fixed in the single body two fonts that give absolution.

                  Ephraim the Syrian

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 14 6:12 PM
                    Prayer gave manna to the people, and by the same prayer the just are nourished.

                    The prayer that bound the heavens released them too, just as it had first bound them.

                    Prayer brought down from Heaven the fire that devoured the sacrifice and licked up the water.

                    Prayer seized and finished off the four hundred and fifty priests of Baal.

                    Truth and love are two wings that cannot be separated.

                    Truth cannot fly without love, nor can love soar aloft without truth.

                    Their yoke is one.

                    Ephraim the Syrian

                    The Syriac Fathers on Prayer and the Spiritual Life

                    http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2951790/the-syriac-fathers-on-prayer-and-spiritual

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 6, 2012
                      Jonah with silver, bought a watering drowning.
                      God sent him to a land, he fled by sea;
                      He sent him to Nineveh, he boarded a ship.
                      To Nineveh He sent him to awaken the peoples.
                      He slept on the ship; the peoples awakened him!
                      Instead of assuaging the sins on land, he went to awaken the waves of the sea.
                      He abandoned silencing the iniquity of the city.
                      He went to stir up a storm of the sea.
                      Instead of sanctifying the wicked city, he went to overturn the ship of the sea.
                      Instead of keeping watch on land and putting wickedness to sleep, he went to sleep at sea and awakened the water.
                      One who was quiet on the ship made the water cry out.

                      Ephraim the Syrian, Hymns on Virginity and on the Symbols of the Lord
                      From: The Lives of the Holy Prophets

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 11, 2014
                        Like the apple of Thine eye preserve me, O Lord God; defend and beneath Thy wings shelter me from temptations.
                        Be the guardian of the eye, that it might not look about in the manner of a thief; be the guardian of the ear, that it might not perceive falsehood.
                        Be the guardian of the lips, that slander, judgement, criticism and idle words might not come forth from them.
                        Be the guardian of the heart, that it might not be inclined to evil and might not work iniquity.
                        Grant us O Lord, knowledge, both of what we should do and of how to set about it.
                        Grant us, O our Lord, that we may be sweeter to Thee than fragrances and perfumes.
                        Grant us, O our Lord, that we may love Thee and hate the world. Gran us, O Lord, to acquire Only Three rather than all transient possessions.
                        Grant us, O our Lord, to bring Thee three choice gifts. Grant us, O our Lord, to burn three aromatic censers before Thee.
                        Grant us, O our Lord, to light for Thee three brightly burning lamps: the spirit, the soul and the body, these three gifts from the One Trinity.
                        Let us dedicate the spirit to the Father, the soul to the Son and the body to the Holy Spirit, the Spirit which will raise it again from dust.
                        O Father, consecrate our spirit to Thyself! O so, consecrate our soul to Thyself! O Holy Spirit, consecrate to Thyself our body which is afflicted by sores.
                        Grant us, O our Lord, to rejoice in Thee, and mayest thou rejoice in us in the last day. To Thee is praise, from the spirit, soul and body. And unto us be Thy mercies.

                        Ephraim the Syrian, A Spiritual Psalter or Reflections On God; 5
                        leather (http://theorthodoxbookstore.com/index.php/a-spiritual-psalter-or-reflections-on-god-890.html)

                        http://www.facebook.com/TheOrthodoxBookstore?ref=ts
                        http://pinterest.com/orthodoxbkstr/
                        http://twitter.com/orthodoxbkstr