Gregory of Nyssa

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 19, 2004
      "Jesus enters the filthy [sinful] waters of the world and when He comes out,
      brings up [purifies] the entire world with Him."

      Gregory of Nyssa

      Check out the following WebPages

      Coptic Orphans
      <http://www.copticorphans.org>

      St. Shenouda the Archimanidrite Coptic Society
      <http://www.stshenouda.com/>

      Coptic Orthodox Christian Center (C.O.C.C)
      <http://www.thecocc.org/>

      Pope Shenouda Coptic Orthodox Theological Seminary (LA branch)
      <http://www.geocities.com/copticseminary/>

      St. Athanasius WebPages
      <http://www.st-athanasius.org>

      St. Athanasius Youth WebPages
      <http://www.stayouth.8k.com>

      UCLA Coptic Club WebPages
      <http://www.studentgroups.ucla.edu/coptic/>

      Cal Poly Pomona Coptic Club
      <http://www.csupomona.edu/~coptic/>

      St. Mary & St. Verena Web Pages
      <http://www.saintverena.org>

      St. Abanoub and St. Antony
      <http://www.saintabanoub.org>

      St. John the Beloved Web Page
      <http://www.saintjohnorthodox.com/>

      Verse of the Day
      <http://www.votdonline.com>

      Mark Sadek
      <http://members.aol.com/marksadek>

      St. George Coptic Orthodox Church, New York
      <http://www.cocstgeorge.org>

      St. George Coptic Orthodox Church, Bellflower, CA
      <http://www.stgeorge-lacopts.org>

      Archangel Michael in Santa Ana, CA
      <http://www.archangelmichaeloc.org>

      St. Mary & Archangel Raphael
      Burlington, Vermont
      <http://copticvt.tripod.com>

      St. George Youth
      Bellflower, CA
      <http://www.stgeorgeyouth.com/>

      myCopticChurch.com - The Coptic Experience
      <http://www.myCopticChurch.com/>

      Cal State Fullerton Coptic Club
      <http://www32.brinkster.com/csufcopticclub/homepage>

      Coptic Liturgical Vestments and other Liturgical items.
      <http://www.heavenlyembroidery.com>
    • marksedrak
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 18, 2004
        Meekness has its source in humility. In banishing pride from the
        heart, we have no more occasion for anger, no more of the false
        refinements which so strongly make us feel the offenses against us.

        Gregory of Nyssa
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 28, 2008

          Once a man has purified his heart, so that he may perchance see the Lord’s beatitude fulfilled, he will then despise all human utterance as absolutely incapable of expressing what he has experienced. Again, if a man is immersed in carnal passions, so that these inclinations put a glaze over the window of the soul, anything you might say would be wasted on him. It is the same thing with the sunshine. If a man has not seen it from his earliest days, any effort to translate the experience into words is useless. You cannot make the brilliance of the sunlight shine through his ears. And so it is with the true light of the spirit. Each man needs his own eyes to see its beauty. And the soul that does see it retains his ecstasy; but the man who has not seen it cannot even be made to realize his loss.

          Gregory of Nyssa

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 18, 2008
            The orderly arrangement of the whole universe is a kind of musical harmony whose maker and artist is God – Gregory of Nyssa

            From:
            The Way of the Fathers: Praying with the Early Christians

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 16, 2009
              If a man’s heart has been purified… he will see the image of the divine nature in his own beauty.

              Gregory of Nyssa

              From:
              The Way of the Fathers: Praying with the Early Christians
              http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2826299
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 16, 2009
                Life is in many ways divided up into opposites, since it may be spent as slave or as master, in riches or poverty, in honor or dishonor, in bodily infirmity or in good health, in all things there is division. Therefore the person in need should be made equal to the one who has a larger share and that which goes short should be filled by what has abundance; this is the law mercy gives men in regard to the needy. For unless mercy softens the soul, man cannot arrive at healing the ills of his neighbor. Mercy then, is a voluntary sorrow that joins itself to the sufferings of others; the loving disposition toward those who suffer distress.
                ______________________________

                Be sure to join The Orthodox Bookstore page on facebook!
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 11, 2010
                  Therefore, if I pray, Hallowed be Thy Name, I ask that these words may affect in me things such as these:

                  May I become through Thy help blameless, just, and pious.
                  May I walk in the straight path, shining with temperance, adorned with incorruption, beautiful through wisdom and prudence.
                  May I meditate on the things that are above and despise what is earthly, showing forth the angelic way of life.

                  Gregory of Nyssa, The Lord’s Prayer
                  http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2358600/the-lords-prayer-beatitudes-gregory-of

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 22, 2010
                    Lord calls blessed not those who live in complete isolation from the passions; for it is impossible to secure a perfectly immaterial and passionless mode of life within the confines of a material existence. But He called meekness a standard of virtue attainable in the life of the flesh, and He says that meekness suffices for beatitude.

                    Gregory of Nyssa

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 12, 2011
                      God imprinted on your nature the likeness of the glories of His own nature, as if molding the form of a carving into wax. – Gregory of Nyssa

                      From: The Way of the Fathers: Praying with the Early Christians
                      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2826299

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 20, 2012
                        How can you see a beautiful image in a mirror unless it has received the impression of a beautiful form? So it is with the mirror of human nature: it cannot become beautiful until it draws near to the Beautiful... that archetypal Beauty is the Dove, and becomes transformed by the image of the divine Beauty... the Dove which symbolizes the presence of the Holy Spirit.

                        Gregory of Nyssa,  From Glory to Glory
                        http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/6895295/from-glory-to