Irenaeus

  • marksedrak
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 7, 2004
      Christ is born and in our midst!
      _____________________________________

      The Son of God became the Son of Man, that man also become the son of God.

      Irenaeus

      _____________________________________

      Happy Feast of Nativity
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 13, 2005
        Irenaeus

        The Lord of all gave to His apostles the power of the gospel, and by them we also have learned the truth, that is, the teaching of the Son of God – as the Lord said to them, `He who hears you hears Me, and he who despises you despises Me, and Him Who sent Me' [Lk.10:16]. For we learned the plan of our salvation from no other than from those through whom the gospel came to us. The first preached it abroad, and then later by the will of God handed it down to us in Scriptures, to be the foundation and pillar of our faith. For it is not right to say that they preached before they had come to perfect knowledge, as some dare to say, boasting that they are the correctors of the apostles. For after our Lord had risen from the dead, and they were clothed with the power from on high when the Holy Spirit came upon them, they were filled with all things and had perfect knowledge. They went out to the ends of the earth, preaching the good things that come to us from God, and proclaiming peace from heaven to all men, all and each of them equally being in possession of the gospel of God.

        Irenaeus, Against the Heresies, III

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 8, 2008

          ‘Could not God make people perfect right at the beginning?’ someone may ask.

          Take the example of a very small child. The mother can give her baby grown-up food, but the baby is still unable to take adult nourishment. Similarly, God could have given humanity perfection right at the beginning, but humanity could not have received it because it was only a child.

          For that reason Our Lord, who sums up all things in himself, when he came on earth in these last days, came not in the full glory which he could have done, but in a form we could see. Certainly, he could have come in his imperishable glory, but we should not have been able to bear the greatness of his majesty.

          Therefore, like giving milk to infants, the perfect Bread of the Father revealed himself to us on earth in human form, so that we might be nourished by his Word like babes at the breast and so by degrees become strong enough to digest the whole Word of God.

          Irenaeus, Against Heresies, 4:62

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 16, 2008

            Error, indeed, is never set forth in its naked deformity, lest, being thus exposed, it should at once be detected. But it is craftily decked out in an attractive dress, so as, by its outward form, to make it appear to the inexperienced (ridiculous as the expression may seem) more true than the truth itself. One far superior to me has well said, in reference to this point, "A clever imitation in glass casts contempt, as it were, on that precious jewel the emerald (which is most highly esteemed by some), unless it come under the eye of one able to test and expose the counterfeit. Or, again, what inexperienced person can with ease detect the presence of brass when it has been mixed up with silver?"

            Irenaeus, Against Heresies
            http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2361285

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 6, 2009
              Great, then, was the mercy of God the Father: He sent the creative Word, who, when He came to save us, put Himself in our position, and in the same situation in which we lost life; and He loosed the prison-bonds, and His light appeared and dispelled the darkness in the prison, and He sanctified our birth and abolished death, loosing those same bonds by which we were held. And He showed forth the resurrection, becoming Himself the first-born from the dead [Col. 1:18] and raised in Himself prostrate man, being lifted up to the heights of heaven, at the right hand of the glory of the Father, as God had promised through the prophet saying: I will raise up the tabernacle of David, that is fallen, that is, the body sprung from David; and this was in truth accomplished by our Lord Jesus Christ, in the triumph of our redemption, that He raise us in truth, setting us free to the Father.

              Irenaeus - Proof of the Apostolic Preaching
              http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2332993
              http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2358365

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 17, 2009
                Even though Eve had Adam for a husband, she was still a virgin... By disobeying, she became the cause of death for herself and for the whole human race. In the same way, Mary, through she also had a husband, was still a virgin, and by obeying, she became the cause of salvation for herself and for the whole human race... The knot of Eve's disobedience was untied by Mary's obedience. What Eve bound through her unbelief, Mary loosed by her faith.

                Irenaeus - Against Heresies, 3.22
                From: Mary and the Fathers of the Church

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 20, 2009
                  And thus one God the Father is declared, who is above all, and through all, and in all. The Father is indeed above all, and He is the Head of Christ; but the Word is through all things, and is Himself the Head of the Church; while the Spirit is in us all, and He is the living water, which the Lord grants to those who rightly believe in Him, and love Him, and who know that 'there is one Father, who is above all, and through all, and in us all' (Eph. 4:6)

                  Irenaeus (Against Heresies, Book 5, Chapter 18)

                  Taken from “The Teachings of the Church Fathers”
                  http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=3323940

                  Original quote from “Against Heresies”
                  http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2361285

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 7, 2010
                    Christ is Born! + Let us Glorify Him!

                    For if He did not receive the substance of flesh from a human being, He neither was made man nor the Son of man; and if He was not made what we were, He did no great thing in what He suffered and endured. But everyone will allow that we are [composed of] a body taken from the earth, and a soul receiving spirit from God. This, therefore, the Word of God was made, recapitulating in Himself His own handiwork; and on this account does He confess Himself the Son of man, and blesses the meek, because they shall inherit the earth" (Matthew 5:5).

                    Irenaeus, Against Heresies (Book III, Chapter 22)

                    http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2361285

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 16, 2010
                      He appeared as man in the fullness of time, and being God’s Word, He summed up in Himself all things in heaven and on earth. He united man with God and brought about communion between God and man.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 31, 2010
                        The prophets who proclaimed Him as Emmanuel, born of a Virgin, were showing forth the union of the Word of God with His own handiwork. They were announcing that the Word would be made flesh, that the Son of God would be the Son of Man, that the pure One, in a pure way, would open that pure womb which regenerates men in God, that pure womb which He Himself made to be pure.

                        Irenaeus, Against the Heresies
                        Scandal of the Incarnation
                        http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/3314920/scandal-of-the-incarnation

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 28, 2011
                          Christ is Risen! + Indeed He is Risen!

                          He sent the creative Word, who, coming to save us, was in the same place and situation in which we were when we lost life, breaking the bonds of the prison; and His light appeared and dispelled the darkness of the prison, and sanctified our birth and abolished death, loosening the same bonds by which we were trapped. And He demonstrated the resurrection, becoming Himself "the first-born from the dead," and raising in Himself fallen.

                          Irenaeus, On the Apostolic Preaching

                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 21, 2011

                            Man is in as much need of communion with God as God is in need of nothing. For this is the glory of man: to persevere and remain in the service of God.

                            Irenaeus, Against the Heresies
                            The Scandal of the Incarnation
                            http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/3314920/scandal-of-the-incarnation

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 7, 2014
                              He became the Son of Man to accustom man to receive God and God to dwell in man.

                              Irenaeus, Against the Heresies (3, 20, 2)
                              From: The Scandal of the Incarnation
                              http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/3314920/scandal-of-the-incarnation?keywords=The+Scandal+of+the+Incarnation%3A
                              Be sure to join The Orthodox Bookstore on the following platforms!