John Cassian

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 15, 2003
      "What we gain by fasting is not as great as the damage done by anger; nor is
      the profit from reading as great as the harm done when we scorn or grieve a
      brother."
      John Cassian
      YOU ARE CORDIALLY INVITED TO ATTEND THE
      INAUGURAL VESPERS SERVICE
      COMMEMORATING THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE COUNCIL OF THE ORIENTAL ORTHODOX
      CHURCHES IN THE WESTERN UNITED STATES
      Hosted by
      * H.G. Bishop Serapion, (Coptic Orthodox Church)
      * H.E. Archbishop Hovnan Derderian, (Western Archdiocese of the
      Armenian Church (Etchmiazin)
      * H.E. Archbishop Moushegh Mardirossian, (Western Prelacy Armenian
      Apostolic Church (Cilicia)
      * H.E Archbishop Eugene Kaplan, (Syrian Orthodox Church)

      Clergy of the Oriental Orthodox Churches will Also Attend
      Tuesday December 16, 2003, at 7:30pm
      At
      Holy Virgin Mary Coptic Orthodox Church
      4900 Cleland Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90042
      For more information, please Contact (909) 865-8378 or email us at
      lacopts@... <mailto:lacopts@...>

      Check out the following WebPages

      Coptic Orphans
      <http://www.copticorphans.org>

      St. Shenouda the Archimanidrite Coptic Society
      <http://www.stshenouda.com/>

      Coptic Orthodox Christian Center (C.O.C.C)
      <http://www.thecocc.org/>

      Pope Shenouda Coptic Orthodox Theological Seminary (LA branch)
      <http://www.geocities.com/copticseminary/>

      St. Athanasius WebPages
      <http://www.st-athanasius.org>

      St. Athanasius Youth WebPages
      <http://www.stayouth.8k.com>

      UCLA Coptic Club WebPages
      <http://www.studentgroups.ucla.edu/coptic/>

      Cal Poly Pomona Coptic Club
      <http://www.csupomona.edu/~coptic/>

      St. Mary & St. Verena Web Pages
      <http://www.saintverena.org>

      St. Abanoub and St. Antony
      <http://www.saintabanoub.org>

      St. John the Beloved Web Page
      <http://www.saintjohnorthodox.com/>

      Verse of the Day
      <http://www.votdonline.com>

      Mark Sadek
      <http://members.aol.com/marksadek>

      St. George Coptic Orthodox Church, New York
      <http://www.cocstgeorge.org>

      St. George Coptic Orthodox Church, Bellflower, CA
      <http://www.stgeorge-lacopts.org>

      Archangel Michael in Santa Ana, CA
      <http://www.archangelmichaeloc.org>

      St. Mary & Archangel Raphael
      Burlington, Vermont
      <http://copticvt.tripod.com>

      St. George Youth
      Bellflower, CA
      <http://www.stgeorgeyouth.com/>

      myCopticChurch.com - The Coptic Experience
      <http://www.myCopticChurch.com/>

      Cal State Fullerton Coptic Club
      <http://www32.brinkster.com/csufcopticclub/homepage>

      Coptic Liturgical Vestments and other Liturgical items.
      <http://www.heavenlyembroidery.com>
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 12, 2004
        Christ Himself summoned Paul and spoke to him. He could have straightaway disclosed the road to perfection. He chooses instead to send him to Ananias and tells him to discover the way of truth from him...He sends him to an old man, thinking it better that he should be taught by him. What would have been quite appropriate in the case of Paul might turn out to be a bad example of presumptuousness of those coming later and someone might become convinced that he should turn only to God for teaching and instruction rather than be educated by the teaching of older men.

        John Cassian

        In Commemoration of the Feast of Sts. Peter & Paul
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 7, 2005
          I shall speak first about control of the stomach, the opposite to gluttony, and about how to fast and what and how much to eat. I shall say nothing on my own account, but only what I have received from the Holy Fathers. They have not given us only a single rule for fasting or a single standard and measure for eating, because not everyone has the same strength; age, illness or delicacy of body create differences. But they have given us all a single goal: to avoid over-eating and the filling of our bellies... A clear rule for self-control handed down by the Fathers is this: stop eating while still hungry and do not continue until you are satisfied.

          John Cassian
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 21, 2009
            We are also taught about the morning service by what we are accustomed to sing every day: "God, my God, I look to you from the dawn." And: "In the morning I shall meditate upon you." And: "I anticipated the dawn, and cried out." And again: "My eyes have anticipated the break of day in order that I might meditate upon your words."

            John Cassian
            The Institutes, Book 3:10
            http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2361306
            ______________________________

            Be sure to join The Orthodox Bookstore page on Facebook and/or follow us on Twitter!
            http://www.facebook.com/TheOrthodoxBookstore?ref=ts
            http://twitter.com/orthodoxbkstr
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 4, 2009
              The end of our profession indeed, is the kingdom of God or the kingdom of heaven: but the immediate aim or goal, is purity of heart, without which no one can gain that end.

              John Cassian, Conference of Abbot Moses

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 15, 2010
                Bodily fasting alone is not enough to bring about perfect self-restraint and true purity; it must be accompanied by contrition of heart, intense prayer to God, frequent meditation on the Scriptures, toil and manual labour. These are able to check the restless impulses of the soul and to recall it from its shameful fantasies. Humility of soul helps more than everything else, however, and without it no one can overcome unchastity or any other sin.

                John Cassian, Conference of Serapion, On the Eight Principle Vices

                Can also be found in The Philokalia, Volume 1

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 26, 2011
                  We must not think that anyone slips and comes to ruins by a sudden fall; it is rather he has been deceived by the beginnings of evil habits, or else by prolonged mental negligence virtue has little by little withdrawn from him and vices have thereby grown stronger and he has thus come to his miserable fall.