The Defense Attorney

  • marksedrak
    Message 1 of 1 , May 20, 2005
      The Defense Attorney
      Author Unknown

      After living what I felt was a "decent" life, my time on earth came
      to the end. The first thing I remember is sitting on a bench in the
      waiting room of what I thought to be a court house. The doors opened
      and I was instructed to come in and have a seat by the defense table.

      As I looked around I saw the "prosecutor." He was a villainous
      looking gent who snarled as he stared at me. He definitely was the
      most evil person I have ever seen.

      I sat down and looked to my left and there sat My Attorney, a kind
      and gentle looking man whose appearance seemed so familiar to me, I
      felt I knew Him. The corner door flew open and there appeared the
      Judge in full flowing robes. He commanded an awesome presence as He
      moved across the room I couldn't take my eyes off of Him. As He took
      His seat behind the bench, He said, "Let us begin."

      The prosecutor rose and said, "My name is Satan and I am here to
      show you why this man belongs in hell."

      He proceeded to tell of lies that I told, things that I stole, and
      in the past when I cheated others. Satan told of other horrible
      perversions that were once in my life and the more he spoke, the
      further down in my seat I sank. I was so embarrassed that I couldn't
      look at anyone, even my own Attorney, as the Devil told of sins that
      even I had completely forgotten about.

      As upset as I was at Satan for telling all these things about me, I
      was equally upset at My Attorney who sat there silently not offering
      any form of defense at all. I know I had been guilty of those
      things, but I had done some good in my life - couldn't that at least
      equal out part of the harm I'd done?

      Satan finished with a fury and said, "This man belongs in hell, he
      is guilty of all that I have charged and there is not a person who
      can prove otherwise."

      When it was His turn, My Attorney first asked if He might approach
      the bench.

      The Judge allowed this over the strong objection of Satan, and
      beckoned Him to come forward. As He got up and started walking, I
      was able to see Him in His full splendor and majesty. I realized why
      He seemed so familiar; this was Jesus representing me, my Lord and
      my Savior.

      He stopped at the bench and softly said to the Judge, "Hi, Dad," and
      then He turned to address the court.

      "Satan was correct in saying that this man had sinned, I won't deny
      any of these allegations. And, yes, the wage of sin is death, and
      this man deserves to be punished." Jesus took a deep breath and
      turned to His Father with outstretched arms and
      proclaimed, "However, I died on the cross so that this person might
      have eternal life and he has accepted Me as his Savior, so he is
      Mine."

      My Lord continued with, "His name is written in the book of life and
      no one can snatch him from Me. Satan still does not understand yet.
      This man is not to be given justice, but rather mercy."

      As Jesus sat down, He quietly paused, looked at His Father and
      said, "There is nothing else that needs to be done. I've done it
      all."

      The Judge lifted His mighty hand and slammed the gavel down. The
      following words bellowed from His lips...

      "This man is free." The penalty for him has already been paid in
      full. Case dismissed."

      As my Lord led me away, I could hear Satan ranting and raving, "I
      won't give up, I will win the next one." I asked Jesus as He gave me
      my instructions where to go next, "Have you ever lost a case?"
      Christ lovingly smiled and said, "Everyone that has come to Me and
      asked Me to represent them has received the same verdict as
      you, "Paid In Full!"