Macarius the Great
- Christ is Risen! + Truly, He is Risen
"Therefore, each one of us should strive and make every effort to pursue diligently all virtues. We ought to believe and seek from the Lord that the inner man receive even now this glory and that we may participate in the holiness of the Spirit so that, purged from all sordid traces of evil, we may receive also in the resurrection what will clothe our bodies as they rise naked, what will cover over any deformity, will vivify and transform them in the heavenly kingdom forever."
Macarius the Great, Fifty Spiritual Homilies
- When He walked this earth, He gave help and health to those who approached and asked for such favors.Macarius the Great______________________________
- Let us have nothing to do with wicked and vain talk and in all things let us with all our might cling to Him. He certainly is ready to give us His Help.Macarius the Great, The Fifty Spiritual Homilies______________________________
- If anyone loves Jesus and really gives himself attentively, not superficially, to Him: if he perseveres in love, God is already planning to reward that soul for that love.
Macarius the Great
The Fifty Spiritual Homilies
- This is the mark of Christianity--however much a man toils, and however many righteousnesses he performs, to feel that he has done nothing, and in fasting to say, "This is not fasting," and in praying, "This is not prayer," and in perseverance at prayer, "I have shown no perseverance; I am only just beginning to practice and to take pains"; and even if he is righteous before God, he should say, "I am not righteous, not I; I do not take pains, but only make a beginning every day."
Macarius the Great
Pseudo-Macarius: The Fifty Spiritual Homilies and the Great Letter
Be sure to join The Orthodox Bookstore on Facebook and/or Twitter!
- O God, cleanse me a sinner, for I have done nothing good before Thee. Deliver me from the evil one, and may Thy will be in me, that I might open my unworthy lips without condemnation and praise Thy holy name, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen.Macarius the Great1st Morning Prayer, Orthodox Daily Prayers
- The person, who has found the Lord, the true treasure, by seeking the Spirit, by faith and great patience, brings forth the fruits of the Spirit, as I said earlier. All righteousness and the commands of the Lord which the Spirit orders he does by himself, purely, and perfectly, and without blame.
Macarius the Great, The Fifty Spiritual Homilies and the Great Letter
- A brother once met abbot Macarius the Egyptian, and said to him, ' Abba, say something to me that I may be saved.' The old man said, 'Go to the burying-ground and revile the dead.' The brother went, and reviled them, and threw stones at them, and came and reported to the old man. He said to him, ' Did they not answer thee? ‘He said, 'No.' The old man said, 'Go again tomorrow and praise them.' So the brother went, and praised them, calling them apostles, and saints, and righteous men, and came to the old man, and said, ' I praised them.' And he said to him, ' Did they answer? ' The brother said, No.' The old man said, 'For as much as you insulted them, they answered nothing, and for as much as you praised them, and they said nothing to you. If you want to be saved, become dead like them. Think nothing of the wrongs done by men, nor of their praise, any more than the dead do and you may be saved.'
Macarius the Great, Pseudo-Macarius: The Fifty Spiritual Homilies and the Great Letter
- Macarius the GreatFrom: St. Macarius the Spiritbearer
- Abba Macarius was met on the road by the devil, who struck him repeated with a scythe, to no avail. The devil finally exclaimed, “What is your power, Macarius, that makes me powerless against you? all that you do, I do too. You fast, so do I; you keep vigil, and I do not sleep at all. In one thing only do you beat me.” When Abba Macarius asked what that could be, the devil replied, “Your humility. Because of that I can do nothing against you.”
Macarius the Great, Macarius the Spiritbearer
- Do not judge others, for this alone will intercede for us during the judgement before God.Macarius the Great, Living Without Hypocrisy______________________________
- Christ is Born! + Glorify Him!As the Lord put on the body, leaving behind all principality and power, so Christians put on the Holy Spirit, and are at rest.Macarius the Great, Spiritual Homilies (Homily 26)______________________________