Augustine

  • marksedrak
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 1, 2005
      "Do what you can, and then pray that God will give you the power to
      do what you cannot."

      Augustine
    • marksedrak
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 1, 2005
        "I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all; but
        whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess."

        Augustine
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 3, 2007

          Late have I loved you, O Beauty ever ancient, ever new, late have I loved you! You were within me, but I was outside, and it was there that I searched for you. In my unloveliness I plunged into the lovely things which you created. You were with me, but I was not with you. Created things kept me from you; yet if they had not been in you they would have not been at all. You called, you shouted, and you broke through my deafness. You flashed, you shone, and you dispelled my blindness. You breathed your fragrance on me; I drew in breath and now I pant for you. I have tasted you, now I hunger and thirst for more. You touched me, and I burned for your peace.

          - Augustine, Confessions, Book 10, Chapter 27

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 22, 2008

            He died, but he vanquished death; in himself, he put an end to what we feared; he took it upon himself, and he vanquished it; as a mighty hunter, he captured and slew the lion. Where is death? Seek it in Christ, for it exists no longer; but it did exist, and now it is dead. O life, O death of death! Be of good heart; it will die in us also. What has taken place in our head will take place in his members; death will die in us also. But when? At the end of the world, at the resurrection of the dead in which we believe and concerning which we do not doubt.

            — Augustine of Hippo (354-430), from Sermon 233

            Checked by AVG.

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 17, 2008
              My brothers, do not think that you must speak the truth to a Christian but lie to a pagan. You are speaking to your brother born like you from Adam and Eve: realize that each man is your neighbor even before he is a Christian; you have no idea how God sees him.

              From: Daily Readings with St. Augustine
              http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2492378
              http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2492451

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 23, 2008
                A man calls on God that he may not be put to confusion. Is it so that the adultery he intended may come off? that someone he hopes to inherit from may die? that a piece of sharp practice may succeed? This is not to call on God, but on one’s own evil desires.

                To call on God is to invite Him into your heart: but will you dare to invite so great a Father when you have no dwelling fit for Him? Your heart is full of evil desires, and yet you invite Him in.

                If you call on God, let it not be to ask for anything. For when you call upon God for aid, the call you make is for Him to come into yourself. What place is there into which your Lord and God can come, what place fit for the God who made heaven and earth? Is it a small thing that God himself should fill you?

                If He comes without silver and gold, do you not want Him? Which of the things He has made can satisfy you, if God himself does not?

                From: Daily Readings with St. Augustine
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 18, 2008
                  Reading Scripture is like reading letters from the other world – Augustine

                  From:
                  The Way of the Fathers: Praying with the Early Christians
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 13, 2009
                    Do you want your prayer to rise upward to the heavens? Provide it, then, with two wings: Fasting & Alms.
                    - Augustine
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 4 5:19 PM
                      Christ is Risen! + Truly, He is Risen!

                      Dear God, move us to make a morning offering to You each day. Grant that all our deeds during the day may be a devout continuation of our prayers begun in the morning.

                      Augustine
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 25 11:19 PM
                        Christ is Risen! + Truly He is Risen!

                        The crucifixion is something that must continue throughout our life, not for forty days only, although Moses, Elijah, and Christ fasted for forty days. We are meant to learn from them not to cling to this present world or imitate its ways, but to nail our unregenerate selves to the cross.

                        Augustine, Sermon 205
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 15, 2009
                          What does love look like? It has the hands to help others. It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy. It has eyes to see misery and want. It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men. That is what love looks like.

                          Augustine
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 9, 2009
                            He who died by his own freewill did not utter a word of threat. So how can you be angry or threaten? You who does not even know when you shall die?

                            Augustine
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 8, 2009
                              You are my God, and most of all, am I, a creature, longing to be created anew? You are my God, You are my creator. You created me through Your Word, and recreated me through Your Word. You created me through the Word abiding in yourself, and you recreated me through the Word who was made flesh for us.
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 20, 2010
                                I call upon You, O God, my mercy; You who created me and did not forget me when I forgot you. Let me know you, for you are the God who knows me; You are the power of my soul, come into it and make it fit for yourself.

                                I beg You to come into my heart, for by inspiring it to long for you, you make it ready to receive You.

                                Now as I call upon You, do not desert me, for You came to my aid before I called You. When I was far from You, You persuaded me to listen to Your voice, to turn back to You.

                                I called upon You for help, but all the time it was You who were calling me to Yourself. You blotted out all my sins and did not repay me with the punishments I deserved.

                                I was nothing; You need not have given me being; before I was You were; You had no need of me. My service has not the value of a countryman’s who tills his master’s land, for if I do not serve You with my labor, Your work still bears fruit.

                                I can only serve You and worship You with the good that comes from You. It is from You alone that I receive it, for but for You I should have no being.

                                Augustine,
                                Soliloquies