A Little U. S. History

  • marksedrak
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 9, 2004
      A Little U. S. History
      Author Unknown

      On the aluminum cap, atop the Washington Monument in Washington DC,
      are displayed two words: Laus Deo.

      No one can see these words. In fact, most visitors to the monument
      are totally unaware they are even there and for that matter,
      probably couldn't care less. Once you know Laus Deo's history, you
      will want to share this with everyone you know. I do and am.

      These words have been there for many years; they are 555 feet, 5.125
      inches high, perched atop the monument, facing skyward to the Father
      of our nation, overlooking the 69 square miles which comprise the
      District of Columbia, capital of the United States of America. Laus
      Deo!

      Two seemingly insignificant, unnoticed words. Out of sight and, one
      might think, out of mind, but very meaningfully placed at the
      highest point over what is the most powerful city in the most
      successful nation in the world. So, what do those two words, in
      Latin, composed of just four syllables and only seven letters,
      possibly mean? Very simply, they say "Praise be to God!" [Laus
      is 'Praise be' and Deo means 'God'].

      Though construction of this giant obelisk began in 1848 when James
      Polk was President of the United States, it was not until 1888 that
      the monument was inaugurated and opened to the public. It took
      twenty-five years to finally cap the memorial with a tribute to the
      Father of our nation, "Laus Deo....Praise be to God!"

      From atop this magnificent granite and marble structure, visitors
      may take in the beautiful panoramic view of the city with its
      division into four major segments. From that vantage point one can
      also easily see the original plan of the designer, Pierre Charles
      l'Enfant... a perfect cross imposed upon the landscape, with the
      White House to the north, the Jefferson Memorial is to the south,
      the Capitol to the east and the Lincoln Memorial to the west.

      A cross you ask? Why a cross? What about separation of church and
      state? Yes, a cross; separation of church and state was not, is not,
      in the Constitution. So, read on.

      How interesting and, no doubt, intended to carry a profound meaning
      for those who notice. Praise be to God! Within the monument itself
      are 898 steps and 50 landings. As one climbs the steps and pauses at
      the landings the memorial stones share a message. On the 12th
      Landing is a prayer offered by the City of Baltimore; on the 20th is
      a memorial presented by some Chinese Christians; on the 24th a
      presentation made by Sunday School children from New York and
      Philadelphia quoting Proverbs 10:7, Luke 18:16 and Proverbs 22:6.
      Praise be to God!

      When the cornerstone of the Washington Monument was laid on July
      4th, 1848, deposited within it were many items including the Holy
      Bible presented by the Bible Society. Praise be to God! Such was the
      discipline, the moral direction, and the spiritual mood given by the
      founder and first President of our unique democracy.... "One Nation,
      Under God." I am awed by Washington's prayer for America. Have you
      never read it? Well, now is your opportunity, so read on! Laus Deo!

      It is clear when one studies the history of our great nation, that
      Washington's America was one of the few countries in all the world
      established under the guidance, direction and banner of Almighty
      God, to whom was given all praise, honor and worship by the great
      men who formed and fashioned her pivotal foundations. When one stops
      to observe the inscriptions found in public places all over our
      nation's capitol, he or she will easily find the signature of God,
      as it is unmistakably inscribed everywhere you look. Though many try
      to disprove and reason, their arguments are weak and easily proven
      without basis. Their efforts will forever be in vain; God assures us
      of that.

      Have you noticed as of late, how many more people are coming
      together, affirming the fact that this nation was, from the
      beginning, built on God? Any nation that is not built upon God will
      fail. The truth is, we have always been one nation under God! Laus
      Deo! Praise be to God!

      You may forget the width and height of "Laus Deo," it's location, or
      the architects but no one who reads this will be able to forget it's
      meaning, or these words: "Unless the Lord builds the house its
      builders labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the
      watchmen stand guard in vain." (Psalm 127: 1) Let us remember to do
      our part, through prayers and sacrifice, to be the watchmen who
      stand their guard.