What goes around comes around

  • marksedrak
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2004
      What goes around comes around
      Author Unknown

      He almost didn't see the old lady, stranded on the side of the road.
      But even in the dim light of day, he could see she needed help. So
      he pulled up in front of her Mercedes and got out. His Pontiac was
      still sputtering when he approached her.

      Even with the smile on his face, she was worried. No one had stopped
      to help for the last hour or so. Was he going to hurt her? He didn't
      look safe; he looked poor and hungry.

      He could see that she was frightened, standing out there in the
      cold. He knew how she felt. It was that chill which only fear can
      put in you.

      He said, "I'm here to help you, ma'am. Why don't you wait in the car
      where it's warm? By the way, my name is Bryan Anderson."

      Well, all she had was a flat tire, but for an old lady, that was bad
      enough. Bryan crawled under the car looking for a place to put the
      jack, skinning his knuckles a time or two. Soon he was able to
      change the tire. But he had to get dirty and his hands hurt.

      As he was tightening up the lug nuts, she rolled down the window and
      began to talk to him. She told him that she was from St. Louis and
      was only just passing through. She couldn't thank him enough for
      coming to her aid.

      Bryan just smiled as he closed her trunk. The lady asked how much
      she owed him. Any amount would have been all right with her. She
      already imagined all the awful things that could have happened had
      he not stopped. Bryan never thought twice about being paid. This was
      not a job to him. This was helping someone in need, and God knows
      there were plenty who had given him a hand in the past. He had lived
      his whole life that way, and it never occurred to him to act any
      other way.

      He told her that if she really wanted to pay him back, the next time
      she saw someone who needed help, she could give that person the
      assistance they needed, and Bryan added, "And think of me."

      He waited until she started her car and drove off. It had been a
      cold and depressing day, but he felt good as he headed for home,
      disappearing into the twilight.

      A few miles down the road the lady saw a small cafe. She went in to
      grab a bite to eat, and take the chill off before she made the last
      leg of her trip home. It was a dingy looking restaurant. Outside
      were two old gas pumps. The whole scene was unfamiliar to her. The
      waitress came over and brought a clean towel to wipe her wet hair.
      She had a sweet smile, one that even being on her feet for the whole
      day couldn't erase. The lady noticed the waitress was nearly eight
      months pregnant, but she never let the strain and aches change her
      attitude. The old lady wondered how someone who had so little could
      be so giving to a stranger. Then she remembered Bryan.

      After the lady finished her meal, she paid with a hundred dollar
      bill. The waitress quickly went to get change for her hundred dollar
      bill, but the old lady had slipped right out the door. She was gone
      by the time the waitress came back. The waitress wondered where the
      lady could be. Then she noticed something written on the napkin.
      There were tears in her eyes when she read what the lady wrote: "You
      don't owe me anything. I have been there too. Somebody once helped
      me out, the way I'm helping you. If you really want to pay me back,
      here is what you do: Do not let this chain of love end with you."

      Under the napkin were four more $100 bills.

      Well, there were tables to clear, sugar bowls to fill, and people to
      serve, but the waitress made it through another day. That night when
      she got home from work and climbed into bed, she was thinking about
      the money and what the lady had written. How could the lady have
      known how much she and her husband needed it? With the baby due next
      month, it was going to be hard.

      She knew how worried her husband was, and as he lay sleeping next to
      her, she gave him a soft kiss and whispered soft and low,
      Everything's gonna be all right. I love you, Bryan Anderson."