John Climacus

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 14, 2004
      "Prayer is by nature a dialog and a union with God. Its effect is to hold the world together. It achieves a reconciliation with God."

      John Climacus
    • marksedrak
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
        Flog your enemies with the Name of Jesus and let the remembrance of
        Jesus be present with each breath.

        John Climacus
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 5, 2007

          Meekness is the silence of the soul.

          John Climacus

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 20, 2007

            Do not search for the words to tell people that you love them. Instead, ask God to show them your love without your having to talk about it. Otherwise you will never have time enough both for loving gestures and for compunction.

            John Climacus, The Ladder of Divine Ascent

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 29, 2008

              The man who really loves the Lord, who has made a real effort to find the coming Kingdom, who has really begun to be troubled by his sins, who is really mindful of eternal torment and judgment, who really lives in the fear of his own departure, will not love, care, or worry about possessions, or parents, or worldly glory, or friends, or brothers, or anything at all on earth. But having shaken off all ties with earthly things and having stripped himself of all cares, and of every earthly possession, he will follow Christ without anxiety or hesitation, always looking heavenward and expecting help from there.

              John Climacus – The Ladder of Divine Ascent

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 1, 2009
                And if you watch yourself early in the morning, at midday, and in the hour before dinner, you will discover the value of fasting, for in the morning your thoughts are lively, by the sixth hour they have grown quieter and by sundown they are finally calm.

                John Climacus
                From: The Ladder of the Divine Ascent
                http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=3018511
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 8, 2009
                  Let us seek to discover the things of heaven through the sweat of our efforts, rather than by mere talk, for at the hour of death it is deeds, not words, that must be displayed.

                  John Climacus
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 6, 2009
                    Obedience is a total renunciation of our own life, and it shows up clearly in the way we act.

                    John Climacus
                    ______________________________

                    Be sure to join The Orthodox Bookstore page on Facebook and/or follow us on Twitter!

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 2 9:52 PM
                      Obedience is the burial place of the will, and the resurrection of lowliness.

                      John Climacus, The Ladder of the Divine Ascent
                      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/3018511/john-climacus-the-ladder-of-divine

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 29 12:09 AM

                        The Christian is one who imitates Christ in thought, word and deed, as far as is possible for human beings, believing rightly and blamelessly in the Holy Trinity.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 8, 2010
                          Some labor and struggle hard to earn forgiveness, but better than these is the man who forgets the wrongs done to him. Forgive quickly and you will be abundantly forgiven.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 5, 2010

                            The effort of bodily prayer can help those not yet granted real prayer of the heart. I am referring to the stretching out of the hands, the beating on the chest, the sincere raising of the eyes heavenward, deep sighs and constant prostrations. But this is not always feasible when other people are present, and this is when the demons particularly like to launch an attack and, because we have not yet the strength of mind to stand up against them and because the hidden power of prayer is not yet within us, we succumb. So go somewhere apart, if you can, hide for a while in some secret place. If you can, lift up the eyes of your soul, but if not, the eyes of your body. Stand still with your arms in the shape of the cross so that with this sign you may shame and conquer your Amalek (Exodus 17:11).

                            John Climacus, Ladder of Divine Ascent
                            http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/3018511/john-climacus-the-ladder-of-divine

                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 25, 2012
                              Be zealous within your soul, without showing it in the least, either by visible sign or by word, or by hint. And you will only do this when you stop looking down at your neighbor.

                              John Climacus, The Ladder of divine Ascent
                              Daily Lenten Meditations for the Orthodox Christian

                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 27, 2012
                                We ought to be on our guard, in case our conscience has stopped troubling us, not so much because of its being clear, but because of its being immersed in sin. ...  A 'good' conscience is one that stands ready to convict oneself immediately with shame. There IS a difference between a 'good' conscience and a 'clear' conscience. The clear one can be dead or deceived.

                                John Climacus, Ladder of Divine Ascent