Isaac the Syrian

    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 3, 2012
      If you believe that God makes provisions for you, why be anxious and concerned about temporal affairs and the needs of your flesh? But if you do not believe that God makes provision for you, and for this reason you take pains to provide for your need separately from Him, then you are of all men most miserable. Why even be alive or go living in such a case? ‘Cast thy care upon the Lord, and He will nourish thee,’ and you shall never be dismayed at any terror that overtakes you.

      Isaac the Syrian, Ascetical Homilies, Homily 5
      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/14020988/ascetical-homilies-of-st-isaac-the

      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 19, 2012
        It is not always in our power to oppose the thoughts fighting against us so as to stop them, but we often receive wounds that do not heal for quite some time... [Arguing with the demons] allows them to arm themselves against you; they will be able to wound you beyond what your wisdom and feeling will set against them. But even if you were to vanquish them, the filth of the thoughts would sully your contemplation, and you would still smell their foul odor for quite some time.

        Isaac the Syrian, Ascetical Homilies, as cited in Therapy of Spiritual Illnesses