Macarius the Great
- A brother once met abbot Macarius the Egyptian, and said to him, ' Abba, say something to me that I may be saved.' The old man said, 'Go to the burying-ground and revile the dead.' The brother went, and reviled them, and threw stones at them, and came and reported to the old man. He said to him, ' Did they not answer thee? ‘He said, 'No.' The old man said, 'Go again tomorrow and praise them.' So the brother went, and praised them, calling them apostles, and saints, and righteous men, and came to the old man, and said, ' I praised them.' And he said to him, ' Did they answer? ' The brother said, No.' The old man said, 'For as much as you insulted them, they answered nothing, and for as much as you praised them, and they said nothing to you. If you want to be saved, become dead like them. Think nothing of the wrongs done by men, nor of their praise, any more than the dead do and you may be saved.'
Macarius the Great, Pseudo-Macarius: The Fifty Spiritual Homilies and the Great Letter
- Macarius the GreatFrom: St. Macarius the Spiritbearer______________________________
- Abba Macarius was met on the road by the devil, who struck him repeated with a scythe, to no avail. The devil finally exclaimed, “What is your power, Macarius, that makes me powerless against you? all that you do, I do too. You fast, so do I; you keep vigil, and I do not sleep at all. In one thing only do you beat me.” When Abba Macarius asked what that could be, the devil replied, “Your humility. Because of that I can do nothing against you.”
Macarius the Great, Macarius the Spiritbearer
- Do not judge others, for this alone will intercede for us during the judgement before God.Macarius the Great, Living Without Hypocrisy______________________________
- Christ is Born! + Glorify Him!As the Lord put on the body, leaving behind all principality and power, so Christians put on the Holy Spirit, and are at rest.Macarius the Great, Spiritual Homilies (Homily 26)______________________________