Ephraim the Syrian

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 6, 2012
      Jonah with silver, bought a watering drowning.
      God sent him to a land, he fled by sea;
      He sent him to Nineveh, he boarded a ship.
      To Nineveh He sent him to awaken the peoples.
      He slept on the ship; the peoples awakened him!
      Instead of assuaging the sins on land, he went to awaken the waves of the sea.
      He abandoned silencing the iniquity of the city.
      He went to stir up a storm of the sea.
      Instead of sanctifying the wicked city, he went to overturn the ship of the sea.
      Instead of keeping watch on land and putting wickedness to sleep, he went to sleep at sea and awakened the water.
      One who was quiet on the ship made the water cry out.

      Ephraim the Syrian, Hymns on Virginity and on the Symbols of the Lord
      From: The Lives of the Holy Prophets

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 11, 2014
        Like the apple of Thine eye preserve me, O Lord God; defend and beneath Thy wings shelter me from temptations.
        Be the guardian of the eye, that it might not look about in the manner of a thief; be the guardian of the ear, that it might not perceive falsehood.
        Be the guardian of the lips, that slander, judgement, criticism and idle words might not come forth from them.
        Be the guardian of the heart, that it might not be inclined to evil and might not work iniquity.
        Grant us O Lord, knowledge, both of what we should do and of how to set about it.
        Grant us, O our Lord, that we may be sweeter to Thee than fragrances and perfumes.
        Grant us, O our Lord, that we may love Thee and hate the world. Gran us, O Lord, to acquire Only Three rather than all transient possessions.
        Grant us, O our Lord, to bring Thee three choice gifts. Grant us, O our Lord, to burn three aromatic censers before Thee.
        Grant us, O our Lord, to light for Thee three brightly burning lamps: the spirit, the soul and the body, these three gifts from the One Trinity.
        Let us dedicate the spirit to the Father, the soul to the Son and the body to the Holy Spirit, the Spirit which will raise it again from dust.
        O Father, consecrate our spirit to Thyself! O so, consecrate our soul to Thyself! O Holy Spirit, consecrate to Thyself our body which is afflicted by sores.
        Grant us, O our Lord, to rejoice in Thee, and mayest thou rejoice in us in the last day. To Thee is praise, from the spirit, soul and body. And unto us be Thy mercies.

        Ephraim the Syrian, A Spiritual Psalter or Reflections On God; 5
        leather (http://theorthodoxbookstore.com/index.php/a-spiritual-psalter-or-reflections-on-god-890.html)

        http://www.facebook.com/TheOrthodoxBookstore?ref=ts
        http://pinterest.com/orthodoxbkstr/
        http://twitter.com/orthodoxbkstr