Nikodemos the Hagiorite

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 24, 2010

      My brother sinner, this is the preparation you must undergo before you repent and go to confession. Know firstly that repentance, according to St. John of Damaskos, is a returning from the devil to God, which comes about through pain and ascesis. So you also, my beloved, if you wish to repent properly, must depart from the devil and from diabolical works and return to God and to the life proper to God. You must forsake sin, which is against nature, and return to virtue, which is according to nature. You must hate wickedness so much, that you say along with David: "Unrighteousness have I hated and abhorred" (Ps. 118:163), and instead, you must love the good and the commandments of the Lord so much, that you also say along with David: "But Thy law have I loved" (ibid.), and again: "Therefore have I loved Thy commandments more than gold and topaz" (Ps. 118:127). In brief, the Holy Spirit informs you through the wise Sirach what in fact true repentance is, saying: "Turn to the Lord and forsake your sins Return to the Most High, and turn away from iniquity, and hate abominations intensely" (Sir. 17:25-26).

      Nikodemos the Hagiorite, Exomologetarion - A Manual of Confession

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 13, 2011

        The same Cyril [of Alexandria] says in another place that, through communion, we are cleansed from every impurity of soul and receive eagerness and fervor to do good: “The precious blood of Christ not only frees us from every corruption but also cleanses us from every impurity lying hidden within us, and it does not allow us to grow cold on account of sloth, but rather makes us fervent in the Spirit.

        Nikodemos the Hagiorite, Concerning Frequent Communion
        http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/12043841/concerning-frequent-communion

        Only couple more days to go on our current promotion which includes this excellent title.

        Message 3 of 3 , May 16, 2012
          Christ is Risen! + Truly He is Risen!

          By your sins you have shown yourself to be a thankless slave and son to such an all-good Master and to your most affectionate Father, Who loved you before the ages, not on account of some worthiness of your own, but on account of His goodness did He decided in His divine mind to create you, when He could have created others instead of you.

          You have wronged Him because you have shown yourself to be thankless to the God Who granted you being,
          Who formed you in His image and likeness,
          Who gave you a body containing all of the senses and a soul with all of the faculties,
          Who made you king of all earthly creatures,
          Who has provided you with sustenance, clothing, and shelter,
          Who has commanded all of His sensible creatures to serve you,
          Who saved you from so many dangers, illnesses, and poverty that so many suffer others suffer from,
          Who gave you an angel to stand by you always and protect you.

          Nikodemos the Hagiorite, Exomologotarion: A Manual of Confession
          http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/9806155/exomologetarion-a-manual-of-confession-hard-cover