Macarius

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2010
      We ought to pray, not according to any bodily habit nor with a habit of loud noise nor out of a custom of silence or on bended knees. But we ought soberly to have an attentive mind, waiting expectantly on God until He comes and visits the soul by means of all of its openings and its paths and senses. And so we should be silent when we ought, and to pray with a cry, just as long as the mind is concentrated on God. For as when the body does any task, it is completely occupied with the work and all its members help one another, so also the soul should be totally concentrated on asking and on a loving movement toward the Lord, not wandering and dispersed by its thoughts but with concentration waiting expectantly for Christ.

      Macarius, Pseudo-Macarius: The Fifty Spiritual Homilies and the Great Letter

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010

        Take the example of a businessman. He is not content with only one way of making a profit, but he ambitiously stretches out in all directions to increase and multiply his profits. He tries one technique after the other and then runs still to something else, cautious only that he not incur a loss. So also let us develop in our souls versatility and expertise in order to obtain the genuine and great gain, namely, God... In this way the Lord finds rest in the well-intended soul, making it a throne of glory.

        Macarius, Pseudo-Macarius: The Fifty Spiritual Homilies and the Great Letter
        http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/3018538/pseudo-macarius-the-fifty-spiritual

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2011
          And just as a house that has its master at home shows forth an abundance of orderliness, and beauty and harmony, so too is the person who has his Lord abiding with him. He is full of every beauty and uprightness. He has the Lord with his spiritual treasures inhabiting within and as his charioteer. But woe to the house whose master is absent, whose lord is not there. It is desolate, run down, full of dirt and disorder. There, as the Prophet says, "sirens and demons" dwell (Is 3 4:13 - 14). For in the deserted house cats and dogs and all sorts of dirt take over. Woe to the person that does not get up after he has seriously fallen and that has within himself those who convince him and compel him to live as an enemy to his very own Spouse. They eagerly seek to corrupt his thoughts away from Christ.