Basil the Great

    Message 1 of 13 , May 3, 2004
      Christ is Risen! + Truly, He is Risen!

      The love of God is not taught. No one has taught us to enjoy the light or to be attached to life more than anything else. And no one has taught us to love the two people who brought us into the world and educated us. Which is all the more reason to believe that we did not learn to love God as a result of outside instruction. In the very nature of every human being has been sown the seed of the ability to love. You and I ought to welcome this seed, cultivate it carefully, nourish it attentively and foster its growth by going to the school of God's commandments with the help of His grace.
      Basil the Great
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 2, 2006

        The Christian must not aspire to honors or claim the first places. Everyone should esteem others more than himself.

        Basil the Great

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 26, 2006

          The worst kind of selfishness is not to give transitory things to those who live in poverty.

          Basil the Great

        • marksedrak
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 4, 2008
            If the ocean is good and worthy of praise before God, how much more
            beautiful is the assembly of a Church like this: where the voices of
            men, of women, of children arise in our prayer to God, mingling and
            resounding like the waves that beat on the shore. This Church also
            enjoys a profound calm, and malicious spirits cannot trouble it. Deserve
            then the approbation of the Lord by remaining faithful to such good
            guidance and fellowship in our Lord Jesus.

            Basil the Great – The Hexaemeron
          • marksedrak
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 25, 2008
              Lend to those from whom you do not hope to receive. And what kind of
              loan is this, it is asked, from which all idea of the expectation of
              repayment is withdrawn? When you mean to supply the need of a poor man
              for the Lord's sake, the transaction is at once a gift and a loan.
              Because there is no expectation of reimbursement, it is a gift. Yet,
              because of the munificence of the Master, Who repays on the
              recipient's behalf, it is a loan. "He that has pity on the poor
              lends to the Lord." Await the loving kindness of Him Who is in truth
              most kind.

              Basil the Great
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 17, 2008

                We claim that we desire the Kingdom of Heaven , and yet we neglect those things that ensure our ability to gain entry there. And although we make no efforts to fulfill the Lord’s commands, we still imagine in our foolishness that we will receive the same honors as those who have  fought against sin right up to death. Who has ever stayed at home doing nothing at harvest time and managed to fill his arms with bundles of corn? Who has ever gathered grapes from the vine he has not planted or worked hard for? Those who have worked receive the fruits. Those who are victorious are crowned. And who would begin to consider crowning anyone who had not even got ready to face his opponent? For we must not neglect even the smallest details of our instructions, but carry out our orders to the letter. For it is said, “Blessed is that servant whom the Lord finds,” not doing anything but, “so doing”.

                Basil the Great

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 8, 2008
                  Hold fast to the rudder of life. Guide your eye, lest at any time through your eyes there beat upon you the vehement wave of lust.  Guide your ear and tongue, lest the one receive harmful, or the other speaks forbidden words.  Let not the tempest of passion overwhelm you.  Let no blows of despondency beat you down; nor the weights of sorrow drown you in its depths.  Our feelings are waves.  Rise above them, and you will be a safe steersman of life.  Fail to avoid each and all of them skillfully and steadily, and, like some untrimmed boat, with life’s dangers all round about you, you will sink into the deep sea of sin.

                  Basil the Great – Homily 12 (On Proverbs)
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 25, 2008

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 21, 2009
                      Christ is Risen! + Truly He is Risen!

                      Prayers too, after reading, find the soul fresher, and more vigorously stirred by love towards God. And that prayer is good which imparts a clear idea of God in the soul: and having God established in self by means of memory is God’s indwelling. Thus we become God’s temple, when the continuity of our recollection is not served by earthly cares; when the mind is harassed by no sudden sensations; when the worshipper flees from all things and retreats to God, drawing away from all the feelings that invite him to self-indulgence, and passes his time in the pursuits that lead to virtue.

                      Basil the Great

                      Taken from: Through the Year with the Church Fathers
                      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=3124672

                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 10, 2009
                        The Christian should not let the sun set on an angry fit of a brother, lest night separate both from each other.

                        Basil the Great

                        The Fathers Speak
                        http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=6290229
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 16 11:43 AM
                          Through His [Holy Spirit] aid hearts are lifted up, the weak are held by the hand, and they who are advancing are brought to perfection.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 20 9:50 AM

                            But the Spirit is believed to have been operating at the same time in Habakkuk and in Daniel at Babylon, and to have been at the prison with Jeremiah, and with Ezekiel at the Chebar. For the Spirit of the Lord filleth the world, and “whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?” And, in the words of the Prophet, “For I am with you, saith the Lord…and my spirit remaineth among you.”

                            Basil the Great, On the Holy Spirit
                            http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2332899/on-the-holy-spirit-basil-great

                            Message 13 of 13 , May 11, 2011
                              Christ is Risen! + Truly He is Risen!

                              The Holy Spirit gives life to all, together with the Father Who enlivens all things and the life-giving Son. Romans 8:11 reveals, "but if the Spirit of Him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, He that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by His Spirit that dwelleth in you." Goodness, illumination, holiness, and resurrection come therefore from the cooperative work of the Holy Trinity, demonstrating both the divine dignity of the Holy Spirit and the unity of the Godhead.

                              Basil the Great, On the Holy Spirit