Theophan the Recluse

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 25, 2010
      What is prayer? How can we learn to pray? What does the spirit of Christian experience as he prayers in humility of heart?

      All such questions should constantly occupy the mind and the heart of the believer, for in prayer man converses with God, he enters through grace, into communion with Him and lives in God. And the Holy Fathers and teachers of the church give answers to all these questions, based on the grace-given enlightenment which is acquired through the experience of practicing prayer - experience equally accessible to the simple and to the wise.

      Theophan the Recluse, What is Prayer?
      From: The Art of Prayer: An Orthodox Anthology
      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/4514002/the-art-of-prayer

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 28, 2010
        When the remembrance of God lives in the heart and there maintains the fear of Him, then all goes well; but when His remembrance grows weak or is kept only in the head, then all goes astray.

        Theophan the Recluse