Isaac the Syrian
- Christ is Risen! + Truly, He is Risen!
Blessed is the person who has eaten of the bread of Love, which is Jesus.
Isaac the Syrian
The Wisdom of Saint Isaac the Syrian
- Before you fall ill, search out a doctor for yourself. Before difficulties come upon you, pray; then when the time of distress comes, you will discover prayer, and it will provide an answer for you.
Isaac the SyrianFrom: The Wisdom of Isaac the Syrian
- If you love the truth, love silence. This will make you illumined, sun-like, in God; it will deliver you from the illusions of ignorance.Isaac the SyrianThe Wisdom of Issac the Syrian
- When you fall down before God in prayer, become in your thought like an ant, like a creeping thing of the earth, like a leech, and like a tiny lisping child. Do not say anything before him with knowledge, but with a child's manner of thought, draw near God and walk before him, that you may be counted worthy of that paternal providence that fathers have for their small children.Isaac the Syrian, The Spiritual World of Isaac the Syrian
- If you believe that God makes provisions for you, why be anxious and concerned about temporal affairs and the needs of your flesh? But if you do not believe that God makes provision for you, and for this reason you take pains to provide for your need separately from Him, then you are of all men most miserable. Why even be alive or go living in such a case? ‘Cast thy care upon the Lord, and He will nourish thee,’ and you shall never be dismayed at any terror that overtakes you.
Isaac the Syrian, Ascetical Homilies, Homily 5
- It is not always in our power to oppose the thoughts fighting against us so as to stop them, but we often receive wounds that do not heal for quite some time... [Arguing with the demons] allows them to arm themselves against you; they will be able to wound you beyond what your wisdom and feeling will set against them. But even if you were to vanquish them, the filth of the thoughts would sully your contemplation, and you would still smell their foul odor for quite some time.Isaac the Syrian, Ascetical Homilies, as cited in Therapy of Spiritual Illnesseshttp://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/15923112/therapy-of-spiritual-illnesses-3-volume-box?keywords=therapy