Antony the Great
First the body is purified by much fasting, by many vigils and prayers, and by the service which makes a man to be straightened in body, cutting off from himself all the lusts of the flesh. And the Spirit of Repentance is made his guide in these things, and tests him by means of them, lest the enemy should turn him back again.
Antony the Great, Letter 1
From The Letters of Saint Antony the Great
Also, available as part of a three volume monastic letters collection which is on sale this week only.
The three volume collection includes:
1. The Letters of Saint Antony the Great
2. The Letters of Ammonas: Successor of Saint Antony
3. The Monastic Letters of Saint Athanasius the Great______________________________
- They said that a certain old man asked God to let him see the Fathers and he saw them all except Abba Anthony. So he asked his guide, 'Where is Abba Anthony?' He told him in reply that in the place where God is, there Anthony would be.Antony the Great, Saying 28, Sayings of the Desert Fathers______________________________
- The Creator saw that their wound was grown great, and needed the care of a physician - and Jesus Himself is their Creator, and Himself heals them – and He sent forerunners before His face. … and being clothed with the Spirit, they saw that none among the creatures were able to heal the great wound, but only the bounty of God, that is to say His Only Begotten, whom He sent to be the Savior of the world; for He is the great physician, who is able to heal the great wound.
Antony the Great, Letter 3