Basil

  • marksedrak
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 13, 2004
      Christ is Risen! + Truly, He is Risen!
      ______________________________________

      Through the Holy Spirit comes our restoration to paradise, our
      ascension into the kingdom of heaven, our return to the adoption of
      sons, our liberty to call God our Father, our being made partakers of
      the grace of Christ, our being called children of light, our sharing
      in eternal glory, and, in a word, our being brought into a state of
      all ?fulness of blessing,? both in this world and in the world to
      come, of all the good gifts that are in store for us, by promise
      hereof, through faith, beholding the reflection of their grace as
      though they were already present, we await the full enjoyment.

      Basil, On the Holy Spirit, Chapter 15
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 24, 2008

        [The Spirit's] operations, what are they? For majesty ineffable, and for numbers innumerable. ... [The Spirit] existed; He pre-existed; He co-existed with the Father and the Son before the ages. ... Is it Christ's advent? The Spirit is forerunner. Is there the incarnate presence? The Spirit is inseparable. Working of miracles, and gifts of healing are through the Holy Spirit. Demons were driven out by the Spirit of God. The devil was brought to naught by the presence of the Spirit. Remission of sins was by the gift of the Spirit, for 'you were washed, you were sanctified ... in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Spirit of our God.' There is close relationship with God through the Spirit, for 'God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying Abba, Father.' The resurrection from the dead is effected by the operation of the Spirit, for 'You send forth Your spirit, they are created; and You renew the face of the earth'.

        Basil - On the Holy Spirit

        http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2332899

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 16, 2010
          Christ is Risen! + Truly, He is Risen!

          Those that have lapsed from the lofty height of life into sin He raises from their fall: for this reason He is Resurrection (cf. John 11:25). Effectually working by the touch of His power and the will of His goodness He does all things. He shepherds; He enlightens; He nourishes; He heals; He guides; He raises up; He calls into being things that were not; He upholds what has been created.

          Basil, On the Holy Spirit, ยง19
          http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2332899

          Message 4 of 4 , May 29, 2010
            Are you poor? You know someone who is even poorer. You have provisions for only ten days, but someone else has enough for one day. As a good and generous person, redistribute you surplus to the needy.

            Basil, On Social Justice