John Cassian

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 4, 2009
      The end of our profession indeed, is the kingdom of God or the kingdom of heaven: but the immediate aim or goal, is purity of heart, without which no one can gain that end.

      John Cassian, Conference of Abbot Moses

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 15, 2010
        Bodily fasting alone is not enough to bring about perfect self-restraint and true purity; it must be accompanied by contrition of heart, intense prayer to God, frequent meditation on the Scriptures, toil and manual labour. These are able to check the restless impulses of the soul and to recall it from its shameful fantasies. Humility of soul helps more than everything else, however, and without it no one can overcome unchastity or any other sin.

        John Cassian, Conference of Serapion, On the Eight Principle Vices

        Can also be found in The Philokalia, Volume 1

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 26, 2011
          We must not think that anyone slips and comes to ruins by a sudden fall; it is rather he has been deceived by the beginnings of evil habits, or else by prolonged mental negligence virtue has little by little withdrawn from him and vices have thereby grown stronger and he has thus come to his miserable fall.