Isaac the Syrian

    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 25, 2009

      The orders of the angels cannot approach the glory that surrounds the throne of His majesty, yet He has appeared in the world for our sake in humble form, as Isaiah said: “We beheld Him, that He had no form nor beauty.” It is He that, being invisible to all created nature, put on a body and fulfilled the economy for the salvation and life of all the nations which were cleansed by Him, and to Him be glory and dominion unto the ages of ages. Amen

      Isaac the Syrian, The Ascetical Homilies, Homily Three

      Taken from: Isaiah Through the Ages
      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=3931613

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 10, 2009
        The fruits of the inner man begin only with the shedding of tears. When you reach the place of tears, then know that your spirit has come out from the prison of this world and has set its foot upon the path that leads to the new age. Your spirit begins at this moment to breathe the wonderful air which is there, and it starts to shed tears. – Isaac the Syrian

        As quoted by
        John Climacus in “The Ladder of Divine Ascent”

        http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=3018511

        Metropolitan Kallistos Ware’s “The Orthodox Way”
        http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=3251671
        ______________________________

        Be sure to join The Orthodox Bookstore page on facebook!
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Santa-Clarita-CA/The-Orthodox-Bookstore/76166851558?ref=ts
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 24, 2009
          Do not be inept in the requests you make to God, otherwise you will insult God through your ignorance.

          Isaac the Syrian
          From: The Wisdom of St Isaac the Syrian
          http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2940560

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 18, 2010
            Meditation on the scriptures teaches the soul the discourse with God.

            Isaac the Syrian
            From: Orthodox Prayer Life
            http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=4862413

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 19, 2010
              As children are not born without a mother, so passions are not born without distraction of the mind, and sin is not committed without parley with the passions.

              Isaac the Syrian
              On Ascetical Life

              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 14, 2010
                Christ is Risen! + Indeed He is Risen!

                O my Hope, pour into my heart the inebriation that consists in the hope of you. O Jesus Christ, the resurrection and light of all worlds, place upon my soul’s head the crown of knowledge of you; open before me all of a sudden the door of mercies, cause the rays of your grace to shine out in my heart.

                Isaac the Syrian
                http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2940549

                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 27, 2010
                  Christ is Risen! + Truly, He is Risen!

                  Blessed is the person who has eaten of the bread of Love, which is Jesus.

                  Isaac the Syrian
                  The Wisdom of Saint Isaac the Syrian
                  http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2940560

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 7 10:28 PM
                    Before you fall ill, search out a doctor for yourself. Before difficulties come upon you, pray; then when the time of distress comes, you will discover prayer, and it will provide an answer for you.

                    Isaac the Syrian
                    From: The Wisdom of Isaac the Syrian

                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 3, 2010
                      If you love the truth, love silence. This will make you illumined, sun-like, in God; it will deliver you from the illusions of ignorance.

                      Isaac the Syrian
                      The Wisdom of Issac the Syrian

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 25 7:13 AM
                        When you fall down before God in prayer, become in your thought like an ant, like a creeping thing of the earth, like a leech, and like a tiny lisping child. Do not say anything before him with knowledge, but with a child's manner of thought, draw near God and walk before him, that you may be counted worthy of that paternal providence that fathers have for their small children.

                        Isaac the Syrian, The Spiritual World of Isaac the Syrian

                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 3, 2012
                          If you believe that God makes provisions for you, why be anxious and concerned about temporal affairs and the needs of your flesh? But if you do not believe that God makes provision for you, and for this reason you take pains to provide for your need separately from Him, then you are of all men most miserable. Why even be alive or go living in such a case? ‘Cast thy care upon the Lord, and He will nourish thee,’ and you shall never be dismayed at any terror that overtakes you.

                          Isaac the Syrian, Ascetical Homilies, Homily 5
                          http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/14020988/ascetical-homilies-of-st-isaac-the

                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 19, 2012
                            It is not always in our power to oppose the thoughts fighting against us so as to stop them, but we often receive wounds that do not heal for quite some time... [Arguing with the demons] allows them to arm themselves against you; they will be able to wound you beyond what your wisdom and feeling will set against them. But even if you were to vanquish them, the filth of the thoughts would sully your contemplation, and you would still smell their foul odor for quite some time.

                            Isaac the Syrian, Ascetical Homilies, as cited in Therapy of Spiritual Illnesses