In Photo .. Iconographer's divine gifts grace Orthodox Christian church in Pinellas Park

  • Coptreal Coptreal
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2009

      Ethiopian and Egyptian Art at the Walters Art Museum

      “I do remember going into somebody’s house in Washington [D.C.] and seeing the Virgin [Mary] with these huge, dark eyes,” Vikan said during a recent interview. “And I remember the moment I saw it and where I was standing. The memory is very strong..”Private collections throughout the world, like those protected beneath a Washington D.C. house, inside rock-hewn Christian monasteries in Ethiopia, or above ground in a New York City SoHo loft, have provided the Walters Art Museum with a majority of i  more....

      In Photo .. Russian Orthodox museum forced to close

      ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- An Anchorage museum plans to close its doors at the end of this summer. The Russian Orthodox Museum, located at 6th Avenue and A Street downtown, houses Alaska artwork dating back more than a century.Many of the artifacts were handmade in the state, and others were brought over from Russia. Most of the texts and artwork date back to the 1890s; some go back two centuries. The small treasures will be returned to the churches that donated them.  more....

      In Photo .. Iconographer's divine gifts grace Orthodox Christian church in Pinellas Park

      PINELLAS PARK — Self-assured and focused atop 30-foot-high scaffolding, Leonidas Diamantopoulos worked on the first phase of iconography that will eventually adorn every interior wall at St. Nicholas Orthodox Christian Church. • The Greek-trained Diamantopoulos, who has a studio in Palm Harbor and plans to open a larger one in Tarpon Springs, has created iconography for cathedrals and churches in Canada, South America and across the United States. • He says his iconography at the Assumption of t  more....

      Church highlight of the week: Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church

      The Orthodox sanctuary and service was an extraordinary sensory experience. The sweet smell of the incense wafted through the air as the priest swung and shook the incense burner, its 12 bells ringing. In sharp contrast to the elegant simplicity of the Mennonite sanctuary, the front of the Orthodox sanctuary was breathtaking with beautifully painted icons of the saints, ornate brass designs, and a magnificent altar. Even the cover of the large Bible was a work of art. Everything in the space tes  more....

      Russian Orthodox Church Wants to Expand Activities in Finland

      Valaam (or Valamo) was previously a part of Finland and was run by the Finnish Orthodox Church. When the area was ceded to the Soviet Union, the Finnish monks were relocated to a new monastery in Heinävesi; the religious use of the island of Valaam was not resumed until 1989, when the Russian Orthodox Church was allowed back in. Now the island is in the midst of a construction boom.   more....

      Antalya welcomes Orthodox church request

      Antalya Metropolitan Mayor Mustafa Akaydın of the Republican People’s Party, or CHP, said he was supportive of the idea. “Nearly 500,000 square meters of land where a weaving factory used to be located has been allocated to our municipality by the Privatization Board,” he said “This area can be used to build temples for the three religions, including an Orthodox church and a cemevi for our Alevi citizens.”  more....