Athanasius

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 18, 2009
      But for the searching and right understanding of the Scriptures there is need of a good life and a pure soul, and for Christian virtue to guide the mind to grasp, so far as human nature can, the truth concerning God the Word.

      Athanasius, On the Incarnation
      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2332926

      ________________________

      Come join us on facebook

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 9, 2009

        The incorporeal and incorruptible and immaterial Word of God entered our world. In one sense, indeed, He was not far from it before, for no part of creation had ever been without Him Who, while ever abiding in union with the Father, yet fills all things that are. - St. Athanasius

        From: On the Incarnation

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 22, 2009

          O noble Virgin, truly you are greater than any other greatness. For who is your equal in greatness, O dwelling place of God the Word? To whom among all creatures shall I compare you, O Virgin? You are greater than them all.

          Athanasius - In Praise of the Blessed Virgin
          From: Mary and the Fathers of the Church
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 27, 2009
            Everything created by God is good and pure, for the Word of God has created nothing useless or unclean. For according to the Apostle, ‘we are a sweet savor of Christ in them that are being saved’ (2 Cor. 2:15). But the darts of the devil are varied and subtle, and he is always ready to trouble those of a simpler mind, and hinder the ordinary ascesis of the brethren, scattering among them thoughts of uncleanness and defilement.

            Athanasius, Letter to Amoun
            From the Monastic Letters of Saint Athanasius the Great
            http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2882837
            ______________________________

            Be sure to join The Orthodox Bookstore page on Facebook and/or follow us on Twitter!

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 5, 2010
              Christ is Risen! + Indeed He is Risen!

              For by the sacrifice of His own body He did two things: He put an end to the law of death which barred our way; and He made a new beginning of life for us, by giving us the hope of resurrection. By man death has gained its power over men; by the Word made Man death has been destroyed and life raised up anew.

              Athanasius
              On the Incarnation, §37

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 7, 2010
                Christ is Risen! + Indeed, He is Risen!

                Have no fears then. Now that the common Savior of all has died on our behalf, we who believein Christ no longer die, as men died aforetime, in fulfillment of the threat of the law.

                Athanasius, On the Incarnation, §50
                http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2332926

                Message 7 of 10 , May 15, 2012
                  Christ is Risen! + Truly He is Risen!

                  We see that the radiance from the sun is integral to it, and that the substance of the sun is not divided or diminished; but it is entire, and its radiance perfect and entire, and the radiance does not diminish the substance of the light, but as it were a genuine offspring from it. Thus we see that the Son is begotten not from without, but “from the Father” and the Father remains entire, while the “stamp of His substance” (Hebrews 1:3) exists always and preserves the likeness and image without alteration.

                  Athanasius, Four Discourses Against the Arians, 2.33
                  From: Learning Theology with the Church Fathers
                  http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/6860196/learning-theology-with-the-church-fathers

                  part of the “with the Church Fathers set”
                  http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/6860251/with-the-church-fathers-set-3-volumes