Wyruna, Adele, Mavis and Vera

  • Mori Flapan
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 16, 2007
      Dear Hamish

      Welcome aboard Maritime History Downunder (MHD for short)

      I see that when you applied to join the group, you wrote the following:

      Hi, I am very interested in doing some research into old yachts that
      once belonged to my mother's family i.e. Wyruna, Adele, Mavis, and Vera.

      Just to get you started, the following is the information from the
      Register of Australian and New Zealand Ships and Boats on Wyruna,
      Adele and Mavis. I don't seem to be able to identify the Vera at
      present so perhaps you might send me any more details that you might
      have. Regarding the Wyruna, I met the owner by accident at the Wooden
      Boat Festival in Hobart last month and he told me the story about it
      still existing in his shed. Please advise if you want to follow this
      further and I will send him your details to make contact.

      Some other vessels that I think were owned by the Dutton family (I
      take it that this is the common connection) are as follows: Zephyr (a
      yacht still in existence), Jolly Roger (a speedboat), Three's None (a
      speedboat). I am not sure whether these are of interest to you. As
      well, I have references to vessels owned by Duttons on Kangaroo
      Island, but these were fishing vessels.

      I would be grateful for any information that you might care to add
      regarding any of the boats that I have mentioned.

      Hope you find this of interest.

      Best regards
      Mori

      Name: Wyruna
      Type: Yacht
      Designer: Reeks, Walter
      Year built: 1909
      Builder: Holmes, W.
      Where built: Sydney, NSW
      Material: Wood
      Rig: Gaff Cutter Later bermudan ketch b82b07
      Propulsion: Sail
      Decks: 1Dk

      PORTS and owners: SA@c10 Dutton family: p73 Dr Allan Cotton:
      WHYALLA,SA@c71b73 Mr Wright: WILLIAMSTOWN,VIC@'73b07 Ivan Knight

      Dimensions (ft): 37.50 x10.80 x6.00
      Bow: Spoon
      Figurehead: Nil
      Stern: Counter

      History & details: 8tdispl. Registered with RSAYS. Believed to have
      been moored at American River, Kangaroo Island while under ownership
      of Dutton family. 1982 while under repair under cover in shed in
      Altona, violent storm knocked down shed, vessel fell over & was
      extensively damaged, sat upright, awaiting possible restoration.

      Research: Hogan seeking whereabouts. Knight seeking history. Refer to
      100 year book of RSAYS.

      Name: Adele
      Type: Yacht/Naval
      Official No: 123022
      Later names: HMAS Franklin-a10b16b20 Adele-b28b39 HMAS Adele-b42b43
      Year built: 1906
      Builder: Hawthorn &Co
      Where built: Leith, Scot, UK
      Material: Steel
      Masts: 2masts Bowsprit
      Funnels: One between masts
      Propulsion: Screw single
      Engine: Steam 68nhp T.3Cy.
      Decks: 1Dk
      Gross tonnage: 288
      Net tonnage: 131

      PORTS and owners: ADELAIDE'07b10b15 Henry Dutton: '15b17 Commonwealth
      Govt (Royal Australian Navy): AUSTRALIAb20 Royal Australian Navy:
      '22b28b32 Commonwealth Govt (Administration of the Mandated Territory
      of New Guinea): c33 sold to a private owner: b39 Mr C.H.Relph, jnr:
      '39 requisitioned by RAN: b46 C.H.Relph

      Registered dimensions (ft): 145.00 x22.40 x13.20 Bow: Clipper
      Figurehead: Nil
      Stern: Counter
      Deck erections: 1 tier deckhouse with wheelhouse above
      Fate: Wrecked 1943/05/07 Struck breakwater at Port Kembla, NSW during
      severe storm.

      History &details: Adelaide No.3 of 1907. Dutton was a wealthy grazier
      of Kapunda, SA. 350tdispl. Service speed 12 knots. 1915-22 tender to
      Royal Australian Naval College at Jervis Bay. 1916/08/04 Jervis Bay
      for Sydney, collided in thick weather with ss Vaucluse near Fort
      Denison, Sydney Harbour, latter seriously damaged, nil fatalities,
      little damage to Franklin. 1920/05 carried Prince of Wales and Duke of
      Windsor on ceremonial review of fleet in Port Phillip Bay. 1922-32
      based at Port Moresby, NG for use as inspection vessel by the
      Administrator. {1927/02/15 collided with tug Dawn on Sydney Harbour,
      slight damage}. 1932 laid up. 1939/09 requisitioned by RAN. 1939/09/29
      quotes for reconditioning refrigeration plant. 1939/10 surveyors to
      report on proposals by Navy Dept that vessel be certified and used for
      long voyages and for use in the tropics. 1939/09-10 refitted by MSB
      for use as an examination steamer by Navy Dept, claim by MSB for £3572
      for repairs, etc. 1939/10/24 taken over by RAN. WW2 examination
      steamer first at Sydney, then Darwin. 1942/05 patrol boat on Sydney
      Harbour the night of the midget submarine attack that sank Kuttabul.
      1943/05 lost while operating as Naval Stores carrier.
      Aswd:Dun2:MelbArgus21/1/1933:MSBM:{MsbM}:Naa1:Nsw1:Ranzs10,17,28,46:Sam^1995/8,1999/9(P),5/2002
      Is MsbM this vessel?

      Name: Mavis
      Type: Pilot/Yacht
      Official No: 67940
      Year built: 1852
      Builder: Inman, G. & J.
      Where built: Lymington, Eng, UK
      Material: Wood
      Rig: Schooner
      Propulsion: Sail
      Net Tonnage: 70
      PORTS and owners: MELBOURNE@c67 Victorian Government: MELBOURNE'75:
      b80 James Gaunson &others: b92 A.McIntosh &others: ADELAIDE'00: b01
      H.Dutton: SYDNEY'08

      Registered dimensions (ft): 89.20 x17.20 x10.30
      Fate (believed): (Lost) (1911/03/19) (Lost in Victorian waters)

      History: 113tTM. Had been a dispatch runner during Crimean war.
      Replaced Corsair as a pilot boat at Port Phillip Heads. Melbourne
      No.36 of 1875. 1887/07/23 sighted barque Gange in danger, attempts to
      signal with bombs &rockets failed, Gange wrecked on Point Lonsdale
      Reef, Vic. 1890/06/23 recorded as being 'in trouble' during gale at
      Queenscliff, Port Phillip Heads. 1896/05/06 collided with ss Britannia
      (3413g) off Port Phillip Heads, slight damage to schooner. Adelaide
      No.10 of 1900. Sydney No.27 of 1908.

        Dear Mori,

        Many thanks for your quick response and information, all of which was greatly appreciated. My initial contact with you was made possible by having met up with Ivan Knight (current Wyruna owner) yesterday, who gave me your details.

        I am in the throws of attempting to write some history on all 4 yachts mentioned. I have quite a bit of information and photos of all yachts on hand, but I am still looking up further information sources before I can begin writing.

        Would you mind responding with you telephone number that I can reach you on, or if it suit you, perhaps you could call me on my mobile number below. There are some queries I have about some of the information and sources you have gratefully provided me with.

        Kind regards

        Hamish

        Hamish Matheson
        Principal Consultant
        Agri-Outcome Consulting Pty Ltd
        P.O. Box 5201
        Burnley, Victoria, Australia, 3121
        Ph:         03 9427 0886
        Mobile:  0418 787 155
        Email:    agri_outcome@...

        NOTICE

        This email and any attachments to it are confidential and intended solely for use by the named addessee. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by email and delete this message from your system. You may not disseminate or copy this email or disclose its contents to anyone.

        The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. We do not accept liability for any computer virus, data corruption, delay, interruption, unauthorised access or unauthorised amendment.

        ____________ _________ _________ _________ ______

[...]

        same vessel? Vsw3 seems to suggest Mavis was still working as pilot
        schooner in 1896(check)

      • origma2
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 20, 2007
          I'm sure David Payne (at the Australian National Maritime Museum)
          would be interested in news about Wyruna too, he has been
          researching Walter Reeks and the boats he designed for quite some
          time.

          Cheers

          Tony Hunt

          --- In maritime_history_downunder@yahoogroups.com, "Hamish Matheson"
          <aoc@...> wrote:

          > Dear Mori,
          >

          > Many thanks for your quick response and information, all of which
          was
          > greatly appreciated. My initial contact with you was made possible
          by having
          > met up with Ivan Knight (current Wyruna owner) yesterday, who gave
          me your
          > details.
          >

          > I am in the throws of attempting to write some history on all 4
          yachts
          > mentioned. I have quite a bit of information and photos of all
          yachts on
          > hand, but I am still looking up further information sources before
          I can
          > begin writing.
          >

          > Would you mind responding with you telephone number that I can
          reach you on,
          > or if it suit you, perhaps you could call me on my mobile number
          below.
          > There are some queries I have about some of the information and
          sources you
          > have gratefully provided me with.
          >

          > Kind regards
          >

          > Hamish
          >

          > Hamish Matheson
          > Principal Consultant
          > Agri-Outcome Consulting Pty Ltd
          > P.O. Box 5201
          > Burnley, Victoria, Australia, 3121
          > Ph: 03 9427 0886
          > Mobile: 0418 787 155
          > Email: agri_outcome@...
          >

          > NOTICE
          >
          > This email and any attachments to it are confidential and intended
          solely
          > for use by the named addessee. If you have received this email in
          error,
          > please notify the sender immediately by email and delete this
          message from
          > your system. You may not disseminate or copy this email or
          disclose its
          > contents to anyone.
          >
          > The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the
          presence
          > of viruses. We do not accept liability for any computer virus, data
          > corruption, delay, interruption, unauthorised access or
          unauthorised
          > amendment.

          Mori Flapan